ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New to discus!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Hank

Default New to discus!

Hey thanks for accepting. As you may already know I am new to the site. What brings me here from other forms is mine and others lack of knowledge on discus. I was at my lfs the other day and walk past their discus tank. I saw about 3 in two and a half inch discus in there with hardly any fins. So I mainly went through this whole process and wound up with this amazing fish for free. I purchased another one to bring home with the damaged one and they're both doing very well. I know I should have many more for the school. But this is what I have to deal with at the moment. the water parameters are excellent my my tanks temp stays in between 83 and a half to 84 degrees. They have been captive-bred to with stand my pH levels which helps keeping it stable. One is a snakeskin discus and the other is a blue turquoise. Both male are in between 2 and 4 in. As of right now I'm housing them in a 30-gallon.ow to medium light. is very lightly planted mostly open. what actually brings me to the site is I know my lfs is pretty close on categorizing The discus but I'll post pictures and try to shoot for a visible picture and was wondering if you guys would be able to help me classify these discus so I actually know what I have I done a lot of research and it's just kind of hard to tell from pictures on there was so many that looked very similar and almost identical to what I have but there was always something different so figure experts like the people you find here but it probably will be able to help me with this and Future encounters. Thanks a lot anything is appreciated and will help out greatly good luck on your fishkeeping Journeys and hope all is well.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Hank

Default Re: New to discus!

Ok so it won't let me post a picture of them... I guess when I'm able I will sorry for the inconvenience.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewGuy89 View Post
    Ok so it won't let me post a picture of them... I guess when I'm able I will sorry for the inconvenience.
    Hi Hank, make sure your picture is 2MBs or less. Welcome to the forum
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Hi and a warm welcome to Simply Discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Hank

Thanks for the welcome !

Real Name
    Filip

Hi and welcome Hank .
    Good look with your new discus and I hope you'll find your way to post some photos of them and your tank too.
    It's hard to ID the specific strain at 2-3 inch size /age but let's give it a try. Meanwhile try to go through and read the stickies in the begginer section on the basics of discus keeping .There is also a very informative 1 hour video in the begginer section stickies that can help you a lot in understanding their general needs .

Good luck and keep us updated Hank.