AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Have proven pair

Registered Member

Default Re: Have proven pair

I think I have the hang of it.
    Last edited by megatrev62; 11-21-2018 at 11:03 PM.

Real Name
    Filip

Great videos Meg. They are playing ping pong with their fry .
    What's the deal with that stick that you move around along with the fry ? First video it was on the right with the fry and now it is on the left?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Great videos Meg. They are playing ping pong with their fry .
    What's the deal with that stick that you move around along with the fry ? First video it was on the right with the fry and now it is on the left?
    Same sticks in the same area of tank? Never moved any sticks? Yes they go back and forth all day long. I have a quandary soon enough. I don't know what to do with this situation. I was thinking remove the divider and see where it goes with the adults. Put one parent back in the 90 and break the pair?
    Last edited by megatrev62; 11-22-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Registered Member

I move the sticks during water change, to get under them etc. But the same sticks have not been moved from their side of the tank. Hope that clarifies it for you.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by megatrev62 View Post
    Same sticks in the same area of tank? Never moved any sticks? Yes they go back and forth all day long. I have a quandary soon enough. I don't know what to do with this situation. I was thinking remove the divider and see where it goes with the adults. Put one parent back in the 90 and break the pair?
    What do you want to see happen? Do you want another spawn from the parents? and/or simply focus on the fry you currently have?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    What do you want to see happen? Do you want another spawn from the parents? and/or simply focus on the fry you currently have?
    Pat
    Good question. I may sell the pair. I still don't know how the fry here are going to make out. It is an enjoyable experience , but I can't and don't want to be busting out more tanks. It would be a shame to break them up is my thinking. There are much nicer fish in the 90 than these two as well, so I have to do some thinking. Bottom line is I have to be realistic about them breeding again. Everything is up in the air.

Normal.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quick update, the fry are doing fine. The female has been extremely aggressive the last two days. Water changes have been brutal, attacking tube and hands. The male is alot more passive. She turned extremely protective all of a sudden.

Registered Member

Need advice. Back to an earlier question. The male and female are not going to get along it seems. When I took the divider down a couple of days ago the male was ferocious toward the female. She didn't back off but he was really aggressive toward her, non stop.

The female is nearly jumping out of the tank when anyone goes near it, this just recently happened. So them together right now is not going to happen....a bummer. Hard to sell them as a breeding pair if they can't be in the same tank at this point. Here is my question:

The 55 as is cannot stay as the fry grow. Should I return both parents to the 90 gallon and leave the fry in the 55 and let it ride that way? Any other suggestions about this? What would the experts do? Thanks for any advice. Just to add. I am bewildered about the sudden change in the adults towards each other. Will they settle down if the fry were removed to another tank? Would like to keep that bond if only to sell them. Hope this is all clear as mud.
    Last edited by megatrev62; 11-26-2018 at 11:23 AM.

Registered Member

Very pleased with the growth of the fry. I love seeing the growth. I am doing 50-75% water changes daily so I think they are doing good. Any suggestions are welcome.

Registered Member

Just that one runt. Should I cull that fish? Will it pick up on the growth? Thanks

Registered Member

Update. There are 20 fry and seem to be doing great. Two fry were culled as they were deformed and very fragile. Took out divider and placed male back in the 90 gallon. Will leave the female here for the time being.

Registered Member

Update. Have 16 total, and I think they will be good. Lost a total of 6 through survival of the fittest. Two were culled early on and lost 4 over a week period. Each that was lost, were swimming alone and hanging at the top away from the crowd. That was around the 4 -5 week area. So these 16 remaining seem to be fine. No such behavior for the last 2 weeks.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

They look great...nice work
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    They look great...nice work
    Pat
    Thank you. I have not been doing as many water changes as I would have liked.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567