ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have proven pair

Registered Member

Default Have proven pair

After having a 90 gallon set up with eight discus, and after growing them from juveniles, finally saw some breeding Friday night. Thought I had all males to be honest, as there was nothing happening and they are certainly old and big enough to breed. I rescaped the tank with vertical pieces of driftwood a few weeks ago and did see some "fluttering" here and there, which gave me hope. Didn't really see this pair forming to be honest.

Anyway, the eggs hatched today, which is exciting, but they are in the 90 with the other discus and some other fish. My question is ...what would be the best thing to do here?.... They never ate the eggs which was great and now the hatching avoided another hurdle. Guessing they will be good parents. Remains to be seen if they eat the larvae.

So scrap it and remove both to a 20 high which I have at the ready ?
    Thanks for any input.

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Have proven pair

If you want to get babies from the pair, they will need to be in their own tank. They won't make it in the community tank. Since you already have a 20 ready, sounds like you're all set.

Real Name
    Dale

The fry wont make it in a community tank, they will be eaten and if not they wont find the parents to cling to them to feed. You need to separate the parents and give them a cone, slate or other surface to lay on again. A 20 gallon is on the small side for the parents, however it will work fine for the fry when you eventually separate them from the parents, I would recommend a 29 gallon tank for the breeding.
    100 discus display * (2) 55 discus breeders * (4) 29 breeder tanks/fry tanks*
    (2) 55 discus grow out * 40 Hex discus * 265 saltwater predator tank *
    150 saltwater FOWLR * 75 gal reef * 20 coral frag

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yom View Post
    The fry wont make it in a community tank, they will be eaten and if not they wont find the parents to cling to them to feed. You need to separate the parents and give them a cone, slate or other surface to lay on again. A 20 gallon is on the small side for the parents, however it will work fine for the fry when you eventually separate them from the parents, I would recommend a 29 gallon tank for the breeding.
    I 'll try them in the 20, that's what I have at the moment. I will more than likely put in the same piece of wood they bred on. No such thing as breeding cones in this area. Can always order online I know. Ty

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by smsimcik View Post
    If you want to get babies from the pair, they will need to be in their own tank. They won't make it in the community tank. Since you already have a 20 ready, sounds like you're all set.
    Yes I think that's the root to go. I want to try this once for sure, would love to see the fry with parents. Ty

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I would let them breed in the 90 for a couple spawns. It will strengthen the pair bond and maybe their parental instincts. If you are considering moving them now wait until they lay the next spawn and move the pair and their eggs at the same time to the 20.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    I would let them breed in the 90 for a couple spawns. It will strengthen the pair bond and maybe their parental instincts. If you are considering moving them now wait until they lay the next spawn and move the pair and their eggs at the same time to the 20.
    Pat
    I hear ya, but the water changes are suffering now with the 90 gallon. The eggs were laid on the wood about 6 inches from water level, kind of a quandary to say the least. Any suggestions with that?

I've heard of people moving them to another tank by sucking them up with a turkey baster... But if you ask me that will be too much disruption, especially for a first time pair. If you do decide to try and move them, fill the 20 with water from the 90 so temp and parameters are equal.
    If you decide to leave them.. The in suing spectacle of them protecting the fry from the tank mates will be quite a Nat_geo show.
    Last edited by slicksta; 10-15-2018 at 12:42 PM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by megatrev62 View Post
    I hear ya, but the water changes are suffering now with the 90 gallon. The eggs were laid on the wood about 6 inches from water level, kind of a quandary to say the least. Any suggestions with that?
    Turn the wood upside down.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Willie

Pat
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Pat
    Say wha??

Registered Member

They'll be gone anyway I guess so what's the difference.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

You're a genius Pat...I sense "been there done that, bought the t-shirt" lol

Registered Member

Fry on their backs as of this morning in the community tank.....things were put on hold...20 gallon had a crack and should be good for water today.

Registered Member

The parents haven't darkened up or changed from their color in any way. Is this normal with pigeon based fish?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast