AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Possible ick help

Registered Member

Default Possible ick help

Hello have has discus only tank for 3 years give or take. I decided to roll with 2 discuss and added some larges black stones and added some other fish. One week all is good! Now ick everywhere! I had the discus at 86 for ever! Lower slowly over a week to 82 for the community tank! Looks great!

Now all the fish have heavy ick! Wow! My prize Discus are showing lite signs of it! Other fish heavy to lite.

I rasied the temp back up. And added ick remedy by marinland. Also bought API aquarium salt but haven't added it yet.

What good advice can someone provide for me..fish are really doing great together
    Thanks

Default Re: Possible ick help

Ich isn't worth messing around with, as it spreads easily and kills quickly. I'd jack the heat back up (I go as high as 90F for warm water species, but your other fish may not like it/die), and dose 1 TBS salt/gallon (aquarium salt is a scam. Rock salt, kosher salt and solar salt are all cheaper options) and malachite green/formalin combo (Kordon Rid Ich Plus is easy to get here, but other companies make it too). Treat every other day for 3 treatments, wait 10 days, then another three treatments. Daily water changes are useful during this period, just make sure to redose the salt for the amount of water you removed. Spots will generally disappear within a couple days, but do the full treatment.

Good luck.

Registered Member

So I already bought the API aquarium salt. I heard that ick dies at 86? I have an 90 gal. Tank. Do you think I should try the API salt since I already have it and raise the temp to 86 in the next few hours? Or a degree a day? Or is 90 a firm temp? Thanks

Real Name
    Filip

Heat treatment +90F along with Salt 1tbs per gallon in a course of 2 weeks should erradicate it.
    Formaline/ malachite green products also helps with iCk .

Real Name
    Mervin

When it shows up in my tanks,I just use heat alone and it gets rid of the ich in just 4-6 days.I had it a few months ago that was brought in with Red Phantom tetras.I used to use salt but found it unnecessary.Some SA fish do not do well with salt in my experience.Corys and other scaleless fish are some.