ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Using Flash Photography on Fish

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Using Flash Photography on Fish

So I am using a speedlight to attempt to take pictures of the contest fry. I have the speedlight on top of the tank with a diffuser. I admit I am underwhelmed with the results. First the speedlight limits my SS to 250 and I am bring the aperture down to F/10 or so due to the brightness of the speedlight. ISO is 100. I find I want to shoot the fish dark to capture the fine detail. Using a Sigma macro lens. Suggestions??
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Dave

Default Re: Using Flash Photography on Fish

can you adjust the speedlight's flash interval like you would adjust the exposure interval on the camera? Some speedlights will let you cut the light up to 2.5 full stops.

You could also set your speed light for high speed, adjust your ISO to 400 or even up to 1600, then open the aperture and use a faster shutter speed to get your desired effect.

F10 gives you clarity through out your depth of field, but when shooting fish usually you are shooting close to one focal plane.

Good luck
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Real Name
    Ricardo

250ss bounce line sucks about the limits of flash, however, there is a workaround by buying some cheap triggers. You can go above the 1/250 ceiling this way so you aren't limited

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

Dave, I figured out at to change the brightness of the speedlight so I have now to 1/8 and a aperture of 3.5. But can I change the flash interval of 250?
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    250ss bounce line sucks about the limits of flash, however, there is a workaround by buying some cheap triggers. You can go above the 1/250 ceiling this way so you aren't limited
    I have a controller Ricardo which acts as a trigger. Maybe I should play with that?
    Pat

Real Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Dave, I figured out at to change the brightness of the speedlight so I have now to 1/8 and a aperture of 3.5. But can I change the flash interval of 250?
    Pat
    you should be able to change the sync speed on the flash from 250... most flashes sync at 1/160, 1/180, or 1/250. My flash has a high speed option so it will sync at faster shutter speeds. I am running the Pentax AF 540 flash (but I know that doesn't help you). Another suggestion is to use trailing curtain flash so that the flash fires at the end of the shutter actuation instead of firing at the beginning of the shutter actuation.

Shoot in RAW and underexpose, and then in post processing (when you open the file to do your editing) you can bring the exposure back up. RAW is like having all of the puzzle pieces to make a picture, and JPEG is like having most of the puzzle pieces there with your brain filling what is missed with 10% of the pieces gone.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Real Name
    Pat

Thanks Dave

A few examples...could be better..

DSC_6434.jpg

DSC_6438.jpg

All of y'all were talking over my head but Pat got it. Excellent results, Pat.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    All of y'all were talking over my head but Pat got it. Excellent results, Pat.
    Thanks Liz

Had a text convo with Al and Ricardo and with their tips came up with this...still room for improvement

DSC_6463.jpg

DSC_6462-2.jpg

DSC_6465-2.jpg

DSC_6469.jpg

DSC_6472.jpg
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 10-19-2018 at 07:31 AM.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Wow Pat great job. I'm with Liz...it's a whole different language...I'm at work tonight and got floated from the Med/Surg ICU to work in the the Cardiovascular ICU...I have been a nurse for 24 yrs and tonight receive shift report from a new graduate still in orientation. I had to keep interrupting her and asking "what does that abbreviation mean?" The language & terminology related to specific areas of expertise is no too dissimilar to a foreign language LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Thank Liz

Had a text convo with Al and Ricardo and with their tips came up with this...still room for improvement

DSC_6463.jpg

DSC_6462-2.jpg

DSC_6465-2.jpg

DSC_6469.jpg

DSC_6472.jpg
    Pat looks like you are good to go. Nice job on the pics and fry so far.
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Wow Pat great job. I'm with Liz...it's a whole different language...I'm at work tonight and got floated from the Med/Surg ICU to work in the the Cardiovascular ICU...I have been a nurse for 24 yrs and tonight receive shift report from a new graduate still in orientation. I had to keep interrupting her and asking "what does that abbreviation mean?" The language & terminology related to specific areas of expertise is no too dissimilar to a foreign language LOL
    Thanks Daniel, I was a software engineer in my working life and very time I started a new assignment the first thing to learn was all the assignment specific acronyms. I am sure the medical field has why more then my job ever had.
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Pat looks like you are good to go. Nice job on the pics and fry so far.
    al
    Thanks Al for the assist. I am putting it to good use
    Pat