ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: tetras dying days after ammonia spike

Registered Member

Default tetras dying days after ammonia spike

so this week i believe i may have possibly cleaned my filter to much and messed up my levels and i had a huge ammonia spike i got my levels back on track with big water changes and prime but days later every morning i notice i have atleast 2 to 3 dead cardinal or rummy nose tetras dead or stuck in my fx6 intake does that ammonia spike cause fish to die days later or you think its something else so far for like a week straight id say ive lost a min of 3 tetras per day im wondering if i may be a different issue they seem and act fine they school and eat and what not wondering if i should try to medicate with general cure or something to rule other stuff out the discus in the tank seem fine also what do you guys think thanks alot

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: tetras dying days after ammonia spike

I wonder if a tankmate developed a taste for cards? I would separate them if possible and see if the deaths continue.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Typically if they are being attacked by tank mates, they'll be missing an eye or two.

Registered Member

i really don't think thats it i've been losing some german rams as well a few days after i noticed the ammonia spike all my levels are good now and im still losing fish

If they are eating and show no sign of disease it is possible that the spike damaged their gills and they are slowly suffocating.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by slicksta View Post
    If they are eating and show no sign of disease it is possible that the spike damaged their gills and they are slowly suffocating.
    is there anything i could do to help out the situation

I guess you can try increasing oxygen levels, but I don't think gill damage is reversible.
    It would be a Hail Mary but you can try and adjust your filter return to break the surface as much as possible. Add an air pump and stone. Dose some Stress Coat.
    Good luck

After rereading your initial post, another thought came to mind. Have you tested for Nitrite?
    Cardinals will not survive unless levels are at absolute 0. And judging from what happened initially, I doubt they are.
    Keep in mind that It can also be a combination of the filter not being fully cycled and gill damage.
    Again... Good luck.

Registered Member

After rereading your initial post, another thought came to mind. Have you tested for Nitrite?
    Cardinals will not survive unless levels are at absolute 0. And judging from what happened initially, I doubt they are.
    Keep in mind that It can also be a combination of the filter not being fully cycled and gill damage.
    Again... Good luck.
    ok thanks the filter is cycled been running it over a year and ya i tested for everything all levels seemed ok other than the ammonia but all the remaining fish seem to be acting ok as of right now but well see ill just keep changing water and i may add an little extra air just hoping i don't wake up to any dead fish again but thanks for the reply

Matt
    Sorry but you can't have a cycled filter and ammonia. So it sounds like you may be starting from scratch at this point and it may take a week or three for nitrite to show up.
    When you test do you have any nitrate?
    Another thing you can try is to take some filter media from another filter to seed this one... That is if you have another aquarium setup to borrow from.

Registered Member

Matt
    Sorry but you can't have a cycled filter and ammonia. So it sounds like you may be starting from scratch at this point and it may take a week or three for nitrite to show up.
    When you test do you have any nitrate?
    Another thing you can try is to take some filter media from another filter to seed this one... That is if you have another aquarium setup to borrow from.
    ya i have nitrates its around 30ppm i have two filters in that tank a fx6 and an aquaclear 110 it may be going through a mini cycle since i probally over cleaned the filter but thanks ill just do daily water changes for a while til everything gets caught up