ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Sump is looking empty !!

Registered Member

Default Re: My Sump is looking empty !!

2kgs of the biohome ultimate, I have no idea if it’s enough to ultimately have a significant affect on the nitrates but between that the water changes and the pothos aquaponics it should make a difference!

Mick

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Keep us posted! By the time mine are fully grow, then given it a few months to see how the traditional media performs then another 6 months before the Biohome is "ripe" it will be about 2 years before I have any figures to compare

Registered Member

Will do Paul, I'll keep it loged in the tank journal thread

Good going MickO'S
    The more bio media the better! ;-)

But I still don't think that you can achieve any reduction in nitrates, especially using a single filter. Flow rates and oxygen levels required are just too far apart and the amount of media needed is just too great to be useful in any way.
    And though some de-nitrifying bacteria are faculative, the efficient strains are not and more applicable in a salt water application.
    The sales pitch of the biohome media sounds good and may (and more likely not) produce a negligible result in a laboratory, but good luck with it in the real world.
    For those claiming it does. Are you doing a truly scientific experiment? Are you keeping your bioload steady throughout the year? feeding exact amounts? water changes in exact amounts on a regular schedule? Or is it more wishful thinking after having spent so much money on the biohome media?
    I'd be interested in knowing how much media it takes to see any perceived results and how you keep the flow rate optimal over time.

Registered Member

Hey silicksta,
    Thanks for all the input on the thread ! I'm also very skeptical of all products new and wondrous that claim miracles, ................................. BUT hahahaha on this build I have bought into every single one of them and am giving them a whirl !!!! the tech and $$$$ I have thrown at this build is just silly !!! but most importantly I'm loving every bit of it !! It's as automated as I can make it without taking over from the daily feeds and wipedowns.
    What I'm aiming for is extreme consistency ! lets see how it works, all the biological media will help I hope !!

Thanks again for all the input on all the rooms I'm asking all my questions in

Mick
    Last edited by MickO'S; 10-28-2018 at 01:18 PM.

Good on you Mick!
    I too have a lot of tech on my setup from automatic drip and drain to various water sensors that monitor sump and overflow levels and possible leaks... all tied to a notification system and motor driven valves. Even my overflows are set up in an unconventional manner.
    And I agree that it's worth the cost just to experiment, learn and keep your mind exercised.
    I'm currently in the process of building my own heater control panel :-)
    That said, I've also learned to keep it as simple as possible and that most of the new stuff out there rarely outperform the tried and true methods.
    Good luck, keep it up... and keep us posted on your progress.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12