ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Discus Tank - 75 Gallon

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Default Re: First Discus Tank - 75 Gallon

Quote Originally Posted by gotwins86 View Post
    Got the fish, doing great. Pretty shy and spook easy, but getting better. Will put up some pics soon. Have to take out my laptop to resize images. Any way I can do that from my phone. All pics I take are over 2mb in size.

They are eating a little, seem to be shy to eat, but getting some. Once they get used to this new tank, what is a good feeding amount? Will 8 x 3" discus eat a whole cube of black worms? Or should I feed half each time? Also have colbalt discus flakes. Do I need to get beefheart? Only place in town would be Petco/PetSmart. Not sure if I want to pay to ship and order online. Any other food I should consider?

Any meds I should preemptively stock up on? Just in case.
    From my unfortunate experience, I always keep metronidazole, prazi quantel, ick, reg salt, epsom salt, malachite green, and formaldehyde handy. I also keep methylene blue for when they lay eggs.

I'm still learning feeding schedules. I am currently auto feeding pellets three times a day, and If I see somewhat of an empty belly, I manually feed in between the auto feeds (mostly for my 2" discus). I don't over feed the adults, they just get three times a day. First feed is set to an hour after lights turn on, 12noon, and an hour before lights out.

I stopped feeding live foods as my fish kept getting sick, and they completely rejected beef hearts.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Zac, this may sound corny but mail the pictures to yourself. Before you sent you might be queried as to the size of the photo.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Zac

Bad cell phone pics. I will work on getting some better ones tonight.
    1026181053.jpg
    1026181825a.jpg

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Stunning! look like very healthy discus and colors are spot on.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

lookin great mate!

Real Name
    Zac

Hit the 1 week mark with the discus! So far so good. They are getting used to me now, don't really hide in the corners anymore. Water changes have been going good. Getting into a grove with them. Never saw a jump in ammonia or nitrite. The german wonder is defiantly the shy one. Usually hiding from the others. He does get picked on a little, but not more than anyone else. I see him eat, but not as much as the others. Anything to worry about? Or does he just need more time to adjust?

One thing I am not sure on is the blue background. Flachen Snakeskin and Brilliant Turquoise kind of blend in. I painted the back, not sure I can do much now. Thinking about a universal rocks background down the line.

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    Attachment 119314
    4.jpg
    3.jpg
    Last edited by gotwins86; 11-02-2018 at 04:36 PM.

Real Name
    Zac

Week 2 with discus update. Everything going great. German wonder and leopard are still pretty shy, but getting better everyday. Leopard is my smallest guy, hopefully he will start catching up once he gets more used to things. Everyone else is taming up quite a bit. While doing water changes instead of hiding in a corner, they are more in the way. Almost annoyingly so, lol. Thinking I am feeding them. Bought a manzanita stump online this week. Should get it sometime next week. But don't plan on putting into the tank for another month or 2. Shooting for hopefully Jan.

Been feeding colbalt flakes and FDBW. 4 times a day. Bought some Hikari Bio-Gold pellets, but my discus don't seem to like em much.

Added some seachem matrix to my canister filters today. Just a little extra filtration.

A couple bad cell phone pics.
    7.jpg
    8.jpg

Real Name
    Patty

They really look great. It’ll be fun watching these guys grow. I like your choices and your tank looks so clean. Great job!
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Daniel

Looking good mate. I read here on SD somewhere to feed new foods first in the morning when the fish are the hungriest. Leave them in the tank for a while and you can always suck them out again if the fish persist in not taking them. One of the guys in the grow out challenge Bryan leaves food in the tank for up to 2 hours...

Real Name
    Zac

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    I read here on SD somewhere to feed new foods first in the morning when the fish are the hungriest.
    Thanks. I fed them pellets first thing this morning. Took a little bit, but after about 10 mins of ignoring them, they went over and ate em up.

Real Name
    Zac

I am a little worried about my leopard. He has always been shy. He does come out and swim in the open with the others, but also hides in the corner a lot. During feeding time, he usually hides most of the time. Never attacking the food like the others. I do see him eat here and there, but mostly after everyone is done. Kinda of pecking around looking for leftovers. He also hasn't really grow like the others.

Anything to worry about? I have only had em for 2 weeks. Does he still need time to adjust?

Edit, he is the guy in the middle of the pic a few posts above.

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by gotwins86 View Post
    Thanks. I fed them pellets first thing this morning. Took a little bit, but after about 10 mins of ignoring them, they went over and ate em up.
    Sweet mate, glad that worked for you!

Real Name
    Zac

Here is the manzanita stump I ordered. Very happy with it. Will probably have to soak it work a while before it sinks. Anything else I should do with it, as a precaution?

12.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12