AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New to keeping Discus

Registered Member

Default New to keeping Discus

Hi everyone. I just purchased my first discus. I bought 2 red covers, 2 yellow sunshines, 2 blue diamonds and 1 blood pigeon. They are all 3” and doing well. They are currently in a 55 gallon tank with 2 sponge filters rated for 60 gallons each and an Aquaclear 70. I’m currently feeding a flake, freeze dried blood worms and frozen blood worms.

Real Name
    Patty

Default Re: New to keeping Discus

Welcome to discus keeping Philip! Where did you get your discus from? You picked some nice colors. Would love to see pictures and watch these babies grow up. Some people don’t use frozen blood worms due to no nutritional value or problems they attribute to frozen blood worms. Some only use Hakari brand. I use freeze dried black worms and my fish love them. You could search blood worms and see what you think.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Registered Member

Welcome, Phillip! You have chosen some of those that I would had I the space for them.

Pices, you concerned me. All I have fed my new Discus are the frozen worms. Why do they sell them to hobbyists if there is no nutritional value? The fish will eventually die, would they not?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

Discus need high protein diet to grow and stay healthy. Frozen bloodworm only carry 5 to 6 % protein and the rest are water. Freeze Dry Black worm on the other hand carry over 60% protein by net weight.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Hi and welcome to Simply Discus from me too! Tell us a bit more about yourself and your fish (photos are always a plys), they sound like a stunning group. Please do carry on asking questions, I have benefitted a lot from the experience passed on by accomplished discus-keepers on this forum.