ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Suggestion needed for dried food for discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Raghavan S

Default Suggestion needed for dried food for discus

Hi all,

I have got couple of PB discus , its been a week with me , its only taking live food (blood worms ) it doesnt take the tetra bits which i feed for other discus . im fairly new with discus. requesting your recommendation for taken them off live food.

Default Re: Suggestion needed for dried food for discus

When you feed them live food on daily basis you will run into this issue of them being very picky.

I would starve them for a day or 2 increase the temp a little and then add the flake/granule food in very small quantities.
    Recommendation for dried food -Highly recommend Freeze Dried Blackworms(FDBW)

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

New Life Spectrum or Northfin are good pellet foods.

Registered Member

try the freeze dried black worms sold here. Once I started feeding the black worms they are disappointed when I feed the frozen bloodworms. I feed a beef heart mix as well which they love.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Raghavan S

i dont think im getting any good Freeze Dried Blackworms(FDBW) here in india.

are the below any good

http://amzn.in/d/bmnZbNd

http://amzn.in/d/3HIRaf2

Registered Member

I got 5 discus 10/23. The photos from Kenny show them eating what looks like blood worms from his fingers. I don't know what these guys are going to eat so I have given a mix of Hikari frozen blood worms and Vibra Bites, freeze dried tubiflex, SFBay frozen beef heart, and crushed Wheaties Breakfast of Champions cereal. So far they seem to eventually eat it all but the Vibra Bites they leave for a long time before they eventually get around to it. Or maybe it's the cory who eats it? I have not settle on one food but rather like the assortment. The jury is out on the Wheaties as I have not actually seen them eat it yet there is none floating around in the tank either.

The fish spend a lot of time hiding behind the branches, timid they are. One Red White male is tormenting the bejesus out of a female Leopard Snakeskin. Everyone gets along except that one Red White who seems to take exception to the Leopard.
    Last edited by nah; 10-27-2018 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nah View Post
    I got 5 discus 10/23. The photos from Kenny show them eating what looks like blood worms from his fingers. I don't know what these guys are going to eat so I have given a mix of Hikari frozen blood worms and Vibra Bites, freeze dried tubiflex, SFBay frozen beef heart, and crushed Wheaties Breakfast of Champions cereal. So far they seem to eventually eat it all but the Vibra Bites they leave for a long time before they eventually get around to it. Or maybe it's the cory who eats it? I have not settle on one food but rather like the assortment. The jury is out on the Wheaties as I have not actually seen them eat it yet there is none floating around in the tank either.

The fish spend a lot of time hiding behind the branches, timid they are. One Red White male is tormenting the bejesus out of a female Leopard Snakeskin. Everyone gets along except that one Red White who seems to take exception to the Leopard.
    Kenny does feed The Hikari Frozen Bloodworm.. I have no idea how he does it by hand like that, most of us long time keepers have grown allergic to them! I swell up like a balloon if I go near Blood worms!.. Most discus will take them no problem though.

Im sure they will settle in for you soon....generally if you give discus a place to hide and they are new, they will hide awhile.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

As for dry I've been feeding:
    Hikari Sinking Cichlid Gold Pellets- Mini
    Hikari Discus Bio-Gold
    Tetra Bits
    Freezedried Black Worms

and then some frozen Brine Shrimp

I'd stay away from the freeze dried blood worms and brine shrimp. But if you wanted to try, the shrimp is much better than the bloodworms.
    Last edited by slicksta; 10-27-2018 at 09:23 PM.

Real Name
    Dave

When I had discus and angels I fed frozen blackworm/beefheart cubes and Ken's fish Angel and Discus flake.

I still feed the Angel and Discus flake to the tank as I have started re-stocking the livestock with tetras, Hatchets, rams, and corries. I will have discus within the year once I have saved enough for them and the shipping.

I also feed Al's freeze dried blackworm with great results.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by ragav21 View Post
    i dont think im getting any good Freeze Dried Blackworms(FDBW) here in india.

are the below any good

http://amzn.in/d/bmnZbNd

http://amzn.in/d/3HIRaf2
    Hi Raghavan, in the India version of Amazon search for Australian Black Worms. I found this https://www.amazon.in/Australian-Bla...A1V6L8FLJB6D9F.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

That's impressive, Pat. It's guys like you who continually improve and make the hobby better and better.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Raghavan S

thanks pat , wil ltry that out ,as of now im deep freezing live blood worms and using it . so far they seem to eat fine . is it fine to keep it on frozen blood worms ? is there any downside on it.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by nah View Post
    That's impressive, Pat. It's guys like you who continually improve and make the hobby better and better.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by ragav21 View Post
    thanks pat , wil ltry that out ,as of now im deep freezing live blood worms and using it . so far they seem to eat fine . is it fine to keep it on frozen blood worms ? is there any downside on it.
    Freezing won't kill most pathogens is a major downside.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images