AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Update on bad frozen bloodworms

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Denise Heric

Default Update on bad frozen bloodworms

Hi All

I thought that I would update everybody on what happened concerning the San Francisco Frozen bloodworms that I fed my discus fish.
    I had been working a lot lately and it's been hard to observe what has been going on. After posting earlier I realized that none of the fish had been pooping. My bare bottom tank was bare. They were all severely constipated and probably infested, making them turn black and dart around the tank in pain.
    I I immediately started adding a good dosage of Epsom salt to the tank and wait.
    I sure did not want to lose my adult pair, an albino red spotted green and a red melon both 6 in Plus in size.
    It's been two days. I have 3 left out of 20 juveniles. I have them in a separate tank with Metro and some Epsom salt. I think two of the juvies will probably survive. My adult pair seemed to be ok now.
    I think I am mostly sick about losing my adult albino White butterfly who ate the most.
    Lesson learned.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Default Re: Update on bad frozen bloodworms

That is a hard way to learn, sorry again for the losses

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Denise Heric

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    That is a hard way to learn, sorry again for the losses
    Thanks Paul

Real Name
    Willie

I recall a local fish store had a 60% off special on frozen food. When I brought it home, I noticed that the food had obviously been thawed and refrozen. I was smart enough back then to throw it away. You never know with frozen food, although I expect more from a branded manufacturer.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Patty

That’s horrible. I swore off it and every time I think of taking a chance, I read a post like this and I think again. I was just talking to my husband about it during wc tonight, so thanks for reminding me again. Sorry you had to go through all that. My Snow White had the same problem and it took him 5 days of Epsom salt to finally pass it.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy