ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: DISTRESS CALL; discus dying one after the another

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Saif

Exclamation DISTRESS CALL; discus dying one after the another

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

First I noticed a white spots on head of my blue diamond. I treated it esha HEXAMITH by separating it into a bucket (also added an air pump). Was also doing water changes 5-6 hrs. It didnt survive overnight. also I saw a lot of white particles in the water. Few days later another discus got sick stopped eating was using only one fin foe´r swimming it had swollen eyes which looked really big. Also, it stayed most of the time near the surface of water. I took him out and gave a salt bath (sea salt and epsom salt). Later esha HEXAMITA, this too didnt survive the night. Now I added esha HEXAMITA directly into the tank. Did as per the recommended dosage. Few days later another discus showed the same symptom as the previous one and passed away. yesterday another passed away. Since my second discus died, i started doing water changes everyday and also started using sea salt 1-2 tbs pr 100 ltrs water. my usual water change routine used to be once a week approxx 30%.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
    One got HITH, other three showed symptoms of swollen eyes (super big eyes), flat depressed belly, swimming with one fin, staying near the surface of water, not eating.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    esha HEXAMITA (81 drops for the first day then next day 39 drops and then two days later 39 drops) before this I added wormer plus (three scoops with the scoop inside in my 325 ltrs)

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish. 325 ltrs, running since three months, 13 discus (now only 9, ranging from 10-18 cms) 11 tetras

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often). 30% once a week using a water conditioner. later during the disease condition 40% everyday and started using salt 2 tbs per 100 ltrs.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    before me it has been running for three years. got it from my friend ad has now been running since three months

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    no ph swing

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.
    I completely understand but i never measured it cause I thought my filter is for 600 ltrs but my tank is 325 ls only so it shouldnt be a problem. If we assume the water parameters to be correct what could be the cause. especially since now I am changing my water almost 40% everyday. so high ammonia or nitrite shouldnt be there.

- temp _____ maintained between 28 and 30C

- ph _____

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____ Tap water from berlin

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    I had 12 discus sold 4 of them and bought 3 from one breeder and another 3 from another breeder

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    I feed them twice a day (JBL grana for discus)

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    Pics I have mailed to the admin cause I coludnt attach here.

20181020_091441.jpg

20181013_103234.jpg

20181018_212825.jpg
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 10-25-2018 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Attached pics

Registered Member

Default Re: DISTRESS CALL; discus dying one after the another

api general cure or metronidazole and praziquantel at start

Real Name
    Mervin

I see a few reasons why your discus could be sick and it may not be just one issue/disease.First,even tho your fish are 4-7 inches,you didn't mention how often you clean your substrate;the most important part of having a planted discus tank IMO from experience.30% WC is almost like not changing any water at all in that length of time even for 13 semi adult discus and tetras in an 85 gal tank.All this is having an affect on the immune system.Also, cross contamination;you didn't mention the QT procedure you used before introducing new fish.The pimples on the blue discus is a sure sign of water quality,hence HITH.The clear stringy poop could be an indicator of hex or worms,but I would think Hex from previous HITH.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Saif

Thanks everyone, i usually do clean my substrate when I do WC (once a week). I thought 30% was enough, people recommend doing it 20% only so there is no drastic change in water parameters. Yes that is a mistake I did. didnt know about quarantine procedure.

may I please know what reason/disease it could be for discus using only one fin to swim?

Thamks,
    Saif