ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Hello

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lou Micevski

Default Hello

My name is Lou and after an an off rekationship with Freshwater planted aqauriums i have decided to get back into the hobby after trying saltwater.
    My tank dimensions are:
    300cm long X 70cm High X 55cm Deep (high)
    i am running a sump as per photo id like some feedback on peoples thoughts or imprvements
    the tank has been running since May 18
    stock
    3x Discus i think they are 1 X Blue diamond 1 x mosiac leopard 1 x ?? Please correct me if im wrong on any or either.
    50X Neons
    6x Rasbora
    6x Rymmy Nose
    6x Gyppies
    started with 10 now nearly 20 cherry Shrimp
    Plants as per pics

running 6x 24/7 finex planted LED's
    and 2X ray 2

1x Maxpect Gyro Pump for circulation
    C02 injection

water Parameter:
    PH: 6.5
    Amonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: <10
    KH: 3
    GH:4
    Temp: 28

For now everything seems to be okay
    BTW discus have only been introduced a couple of days ago so i im doing my best not to run into any problems ie. Algae and the alike
    i did go through the initial stages of diatoms, BBA, HA but everything ssems to be okay for now.

I dose Flourish every odd day thinking i might need some more is that okay with discus ??

My initial question is:

Tank is plumbed up direct to sewer for drainage from underneath so flick of valve and water drains easy..
    i have tap plumbed above the tank so easy for refill..
    my concern is when i do a 25% water change Temp drops to about 24 Deg Ph from tap is 7 i generally get a swing from 6.2 to 7 overnight anyway caused by C02 injection but have been told that nothing to worry about.

I was thinking to drain water and at the same time slowly refill whilst draining to prevent instant temp Change !!!
    any thoughts or comments or advise would be greatley appreciatted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Default Re: Hello

Hi, Lou, how do you do? Your aquarium came to you from Marineland I suspect. Welcome!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lou Micevski

Well Thank you Nah !!
    No My tank was custom made !!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Lou.M View Post
    My initial question is:

Tank is plumbed up direct to sewer for drainage from underneath so flick of valve and water drains easy..
    i have tap plumbed above the tank so easy for refill..
    my concern is when i do a 25% water change Temp drops to about 24 Deg Ph from tap is 7 i generally get a swing from 6.2 to 7 overnight anyway caused by C02 injection but have been told that nothing to worry about.

I was thinking to drain water and at the same time slowly refill whilst draining to prevent instant temp Change !!!
    any thoughts or comments or advise would be greatley appreciatted.
    Hi Lou.
    I'm also form Melbourne and do 30% water changes every 4 days or so. Like me the drop in temperature is around 3 to 4 degres which have not presented me with any issues. I also add some prime while doing the fill up. I rather go this way than have to store water in a barrel in my living area.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time