ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Food for coloring up yellow discus

Default Food for coloring up yellow discus

I have two questions:

1. What is the best food for coloring up Yellow discus?

2. What is the best *flake* food I can get for discus that (a) won't change yellow discus to red, and (b) is available through Amazon? I've had success with Ocean Nutrition flakes before for my non-Yellow discus, is that ok for yellow discus?

Default Re: Food for coloring up yellow discus

Hello,
    1. What is the best food for coloring up Yellow discus? anything that has no red pigments!(carotenoid pigments) but has yellow pigments and thats the hard part, Most fish foods have red/orange pigments thats the fish will take up. Things to avoid, ...salmon, krill, plankton, spirullina (though green its high in orange pigments),blood worms, and any green veggies usually have orange pigments as well.

2. What is the best *flake* food I can get for discus that (a) won't change yellow discus to red, and (b) is available through Amazon? I've had success with Ocean Nutrition flakes before for my non-Yellow discus, is that ok for
    yellow discus? You will have a hard time with that as they have too many of the foods to avoid.

I don't usually toot my horn on the blackworms that I sell outside my sponsor board , but the Freeze Dried Blackworms I have here... https://aquaticsuppliers.com/Freeze-...riginal_c6.htm have been used by several of my customers with yellow fish. They won't significantly add pigment to the diet. Its one of the Few foods that I know outside of making your own homemade mix of things like whitefish, chicken and turkey that are generally Yellow Discus Safe.

You can add yellow pigments to the foods with things like yellow squash, the pigment lutein, and if you can find the pigment Carophyll Yellow ( a very strong yellow pigment)

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    don't usually toot my horn on the blackworms l
    I have had great experience with your blackworms! Once my tank is set up I was going to order from you for sure. But I wanted to get a flake food as well, for diversity (and also b/c I might want to have rummynose tetras, and the flake gives them a better chance of also getting some food).

Does Carophyll Yellow look nice? What is the best way to apply that to your worms? Will that turn my rummynose yellow? ha ha.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I have a stunning royal yellow discus from Dennis's Discus...I have looked high & low for a commercial flake/pellet...it seems the most common color enhancing ingredient is astaxanthin and it is in pretty much everything I looked at...it will for sure turn yellows to orange...I have opted at this point to stick with a good water change regime and feed Dennis's beef heart/seafood mix to my discus to keep my 2 yellow fish yellow...incidentally, the reds are still lookin good as well!

Thanks Al for the heads up regarding orange pigment in spirulina and green veggies...I have a couple of fresh deer hearts, and more on the way, to make my own mix when I run out of Dennis's...I was going to add spirulina and blanched spinach...until now...cheers mate!