AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kh ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lou Micevski

Default Re: Kh ?

HI Al,
    The plan for the short term is to do 20-30% every odd day as im very lightly stocked for the size of the tank.
    i like most are always looking for another way (easier) i must admit though part of the hobby is the enjoyment of husbandry keeps me out of trouble lol.

I wwill add some crushed coral though to boost the KH id rather use that i think its easier to control rather then using chemicals ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lou Micevski

@AL i have some old dead corals from my saltwater setup would you say iys okay to crush those corals soak them for a few days and use them or would i be better of just buying some ???

Quote Originally Posted by Lou.M View Post
    @AL i have some old dead corals from my saltwater setup would you say iys okay to crush those corals soak them for a few days and use them or would i be better of just buying some ???
    Id probably just buy some.. if you live near a place that carries Chicken and poultry supplies, check there for crushed oyster shells. Its used as a calcium source for egg laying hens. Its dirt cheap. Just add some to a nylon stocking and place in your filter or water supply barrels.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lou Micevski

wasnt able to find any oyster shells but i bought crushed coral from local LFS was inexpensive only $4.50 so im hoping that will do the trick, how long will it take for it to make a difference before perhaps i need to add more
    KH still sitting at 1 at the moment.

Lou how much are you using and where is placed?

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lou Micevski

1 handful in a bag i placed in the filter sock where water enters sump and second bag of the same size in the next chamber obove bioballs.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lou Micevski

Thank you for your advise and help on the DKH questions @Al i followed your recommendation and my KH is now at 3.
    if i may ask what about Phosphates and nitrates what are acceptable levels in a discus planted aquarium ??

Lou,
    I don't measure my phosphates here since I don't keep planted tanks, but generally Nitrates are not a problem in a planted tank. What are your Nitrates level?

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lou Micevski

Al,
    Nitrates are Between 10 and 20 ppm and only because i use a fertilizer otherwise 0, again Phosphates were between 1 and 2ppm only because the fertilizers as long as i dont hurt the discus.

Your nitrates are fine Lou, I like mine less than 20 ppm... some Discus can get skittish at higher ppms. I would just watch to see if they get stressed out and if they do... do a water change. Its not scientific but you will figure out what stresses them out over time...

hth,
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lou Micevski

Al of the three Discus i have currently i have had a pair form and they have laid eggs three times in the last couple of weeks, they look to be happy and i havent seen a difference from the time i put them in except that they are eating far more, i take that as them being happy, i dont know any different at this stage. Discus are way different to anything i have had in a tank in the past.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12