AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Swollen abdomen

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Brian Plante

Default Swollen abdomen

Default Disease Questionnaire - please complete

Please complete this questionnaire if your fish are sick (copy and paste). The more details you can provide, the better we are able to diagnose and help you treat your sick fish.

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

This fish has had a swollen abdomen for 2 weeks. Put in QT 2 days after abdomen started to swell. I have no clue what started this, I have not added any new fish in 8months

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Swollen abdomen, not eating, fins are not clamped, fish is lighter in color than usual. The fish has pooped a white tube, looks like intestinal wall.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

I have added 3tbsp of epson salt every day for the first week for 29gal tank. Have been using kanamycin and metro. For the last 8 days.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

29gal QT tank
    150gal main tank

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

I have been doing 100% a day for the last 2 weeks In the QT tank.
    Main tank gets 75% every other day.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

QT tank been running for 2 weeks with a sponge filter from the main tank. Bare bottom.

Main tank has been running for 2 years. 1/2in of sand.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

I mix ro with tap water to achieve 250tds, usually ages for 24-48 hours.
    Ph between 6.8 and 7.2.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

These are the parameters in my QT tank. My main tank is close to the same parameters.

- temp ___86f__

- ph __7.0___

- ammonia reading ____0ppm

- nitrite reading ____0ppm

- nitrate reading ____0-5ppm

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

City water mix with ro.
    1gal of city water per 5gal of Ro water

- well water ___yes_

- municipal water ____yes

- RO water ___yes_
    I live in a village, our water is not treated so I guess it could be called municipal well water.

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

No

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

Beef heart, tetra color granules, bug bites color enhancing, I feed them 2 to 3 times a day

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Thanks for all the help I'm at a loss.
    Brian.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bplante75; 10-30-2018 at 03:56 AM.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Swollen abdomen

Brian I am no discus expert, but have been in the hobby 38 years. When dealing with intestinal blockages in african cichlids the mag sulfate dose is 1 (sometimes 2 in bad cases) tbsp per US 10 gal. You wrote 1 tbs, but didn't describe per what water volume. It looks like a blockage or mass of some sort. If it's a mass, I do not know how to treat it. If a blockage go up on your mag sulfate dose to 1-2 tbsp/10 gal and increase the water temp to stimulate a higher metabolic rate, and make sure you have good aeration as higher water temps mean lower O2 carrying capacity. I hope it works out. Looks painful...
    Last edited by danotaylor; 10-30-2018 at 04:15 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Brian Plante

fixed my original post.
    I am thinking about doing a dip with 2tbsp in 5 gal of water for an hour. But at this point I'm not sure epsom salt will help.
    I don't like throwing meds at my fish but thinking about trying erythromycin for a week also

Hi Brian, that fish has a very distinct swollen area. my guess is its a physical blockage verses bacterial infection . I dont think antibiotics are the answer.

You can add more epsom salt than the 1 tbs per 10 gals..
    the discus will be fine with 3 tablespoons per 10 gals or the 2 tablespoons per 5 you were thinking...it would be best to.go longer than hour... do a 24 hours bath.

I don't know if it will help or not as that looks like an acute blockage. If I had to guess the reason was the food.Beefheart can cause blockages if not cleaned well or if it contains shells from things like shrimp.Tetra bits can cause blockages if ingested too fast and swelling in the gut. BUG BITES are potentially an issue due to their being dried insects . You may have just had a perfect storm with the diet.

Im sorry but its not a very good outlook here.

Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 10-30-2018 at 05:31 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Daniel

If you're game, here is a vid of my friend Andrew treating bloat/hex in a wild tropheus with an end stage remedy...if Brew is right and the outcome is grim, it may be a last ditch effort to save it...I have never tried it...

Last edited by danotaylor; 10-30-2018 at 05:57 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Brian Plante

Went with 3tbsp per 10 gal. Going to leave like that for 24 hours. I can get the supplies to do the injection into the gut maybe I'll try tomorrow. I have no issue trying that way, thinking I might give her a little clove oil to calm her down first though. Thanks for the sudjestions. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Brian Plante

Well been dosing the discus every other day directly into the stomach with epson salt and metro for 6 days. There has been some white tube like intestine lining showing up. Last night I decided to change it up and dose epson salt and kanamycin. Well this is what showed up when I checked up on them this evening. Here is the weapon I have been using to battle this blockage. Thanks to my vet for supplying the catheter tubing to use to put down her throat.

Real Name
    Daniel

cool mate, I'm glad Andrew's youtube gave you a different approach to try

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Quote Originally Posted by Bplante75 View Post
    Well been dosing the discus every other day directly into the stomach with epson salt and metro for 6 days. There has been some white tube like intestine lining showing up. Last night I decided to change it up and dose epson salt and kanamycin. Well this is what showed up when I checked up on them this evening. Here is the weapon I have been using to battle this blockage. Thanks to my vet for supplying the catheter tubing to use to put down her throat.
    Was there ment to be a photo?