ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Golden based Royal Ruby Red......what to pair with it?

Registered Member

Default Golden based Royal Ruby Red......what to pair with it?

I have (2) Royal Ruby Reds (Golden Based) that I got from Kenny. They are show quality discus and I realize they look like the Red Melons from the Pigeonblood strain. The (2) I have are definitely females and lay a ton of eggs. I'm having trouble with finding males for them. I have read about problems with Male Golden Based discus. What should I cross these (2) with.......a super clean Red Melon......San Merah.?? I'm looking for any suggestions and ideas. Let me know if someone has a capable Male available. I have attached some pics of the (2) females to show their quality. I look forward to hearing any feedback!!canva-photo-editor.jpg
    Last edited by onthetee; 10-30-2018 at 10:19 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rich

Default Re: Golden based Royal Ruby Red......what to pair with it?

3R crosses that kenny also sells, they should produce both offspring!

Registered Member

I have (3) 3R Intermediates that are supposed to be males. I know (2) of them are males and the third might be a female. I have been trying to pair them up with these (2) females, but it has not gone so well. I think one may be not fertile. That's why I was looking to see what else they could be paired with......possibly someone else have 3R's.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rich

I am not an expert at breeding by any means, I also have both 3R and 3R intermediate’s. Had only one successful spawn but they then ate they fry haven’t been able to get them to spawn again. I don’t have the time to go through and try all different ways to get them to spawn again. But after hunting season I will dedicate more time to trying again.

Registered Member

Does your 3R Intermediate look like this?3R int (2).jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rich

yes, they do

Registered Member

I have (3) of these 3R Intermediates.......I think (2) are males and (1) is a female. I was able to locate (2) 3R Golden Based (possible males) from another breeder that I'm going to thrown in the mix. The (2) new ones are supposed to come this Tuesday. They look more like the 3R females I have. Attached is pics of them. They are about 5 1/2" and are 9 to 10 months old......so hopefully I will get a little more size on them before they quit growing.3R Male #1.jpg3R Male #2.jpg