AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Driftwood Options

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Default Driftwood Options

Can anyone provide any input on the options for Driftwood types for discus.

Is there any types I need to avoid? And a good place to purchase?

having trouble sourcing some nice driftwood for a Discus only tank.....

Thanks

Default Re: Driftwood Options

My best driftwood is not really driftwood. It's from hard wood that I found in the woods. If you want branches there is a different kind of wood that you have to pay for.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I'm with Liz, I collect my own from the woods and creek beds after flood waters pile tons of wood up. Sift thru and find the gold! Needs a good cleaning usually, but a good high pressure washer gets it cleaned up well. Soak in bleach water, dry in the sun for a few days, and ta-dah, you're ready to go!
    You can buy manzanita branches online if you want something super clean and sand blasted, usually ready for use.

Real Name
    Mark

Hello from a local! Best source i have found is Aquatica in Valley City. Steve has a huge selection.

Real Name
    Dave

I got my stump here: http://www.manzanita.com/stumps/page1/page1.htm a number of years ago, but he may not be in business anymore as he doesn't have near the pieces available.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Real Name
    Zac

I was looking into the same thing. No one local to me sells nice driftwood.

Was looking at some of the different things from Universal Rocks. Specifically a couple of the tree stumps. Anyone had any experience with Universal Rocks?

You might check with The Wet Spot. They had some killer fake stumps that looked perfectly real at one of the NADA conventions.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Dale

I too have used local picked up "driftwood" and it obviously is the cheapest route. Issue I have is with local picked up woods they tend to not sink and require a piece of slate anchored(screwed to or silicone to). Other options are Spider Wood; which is usually nice and branching root looking, Manzanita; which you can get at most Petco's, and Mopani, which has multiple shades and stripes in it. A good LFS will have a nice selection of wood, if not then simply search Ebay.

Prior to placing in your tank soak the wood well; better to boil it if you can and expect tannins to release and make the water brown(hence the term blackwater). The Manzanita leaches a lot of tannins.
    100 discus display * (2) 55 discus breeders * (4) 29 breeder tanks/fry tanks*
    (2) 55 discus grow out * 40 Hex discus * 265 saltwater predator tank *
    150 saltwater FOWLR * 75 gal reef * 20 coral frag