Dennis Discus     Australian Blackworms

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 120 Gallon Tank as Footboard to Cedar Bed

Registered Member
    iTrader
    Real Name
    James Walker

Default Re: 120 Gallon Tank as Footboard to Cedar Bed

What is your WC schedule? Are you changing water with 100% RO? With such a low pH you might be sitting on the cliff of a pH crash.

iTrader
    Real Name
    Nate

Hi James - That is exactly what I'm worried about. Today I started adding dechlorinated tap water. Here is what I've been doing and what I plan to do:

Since the startup of this tank 5 months ago, my water changes have been daily at 50% with RO water and I have been adding back in minerals for plant growth 2 out of three days. Up until I added the 18 discus 2.5 weeks ago the pH has been 6.5. Since then the pH has fallen to 5.4. As of today I have stared adding dechlorinated tap water in the amount of 2 cups her feeding. This may not be enough, but I am starting here. My tap water is around 8.2 pH. What would you suggest at this point to avoid a pH crash?
    120 Discus Show Tank / 125 Grow Out Tank / Fish Room (almost) Under Construction

iTrader
    12 (100%)

What is your kH? It will give me a better idea of what to advise you to do. Since you don't want to raise fry you can go with harder water. I would start doing WC with 1/2 aged tap and 1/2 with RO and quit the mineral ferts until we fix your pH problem. What are the ingredients in that liquid fertilizer?
    Mama Bear

iTrader
    Real Name
    Nate

i will be able to test the kH on Saturday of both the tank water and tap water and then I will post results. I do actually want to raise fry. In the near future I will be building breeder tanks. Next week I plan to move the 12 unpaired discus to an unplanted 125 gallon tank. The liquid fertilizer I use is the GLA PPS-Pro Fert Pack system. Are you already familiar with this system?
    120 Discus Show Tank / 125 Grow Out Tank / Fish Room (almost) Under Construction

Registered Member
    iTrader
    Real Name
    James Walker

PPS-Pro shouldn't cause the pH crash, it also provides an appropriate mixture of salts. Find out your KH and bump it up to around 2-4, gradually, over a few weeks.

A few points on how I would approach this problem:
    Go slowly
    Start with 1 teaspoon of baking soda (NaHCO3, Arm and Hammer brand) in your WC with RO water
    Check the results
    Do this 3-4 times to get a baseline where you stabilize
    Consider adding 2 teaspoons
    Repeat until you get to a KH you are comfortable with.

I can't stress enough how much you need to remain consistent. Wildly changing water parameters is what kills discus. The fish are fine right now but you might want to take a few steps back off of the cliff (pH crash). Don't run blindly the other way.

Do you use a whole-home water softener? If yes then you can likely simplify this by mixing non-softened tap and RO together. Again do it slowly like you are now. Start with 10% tap in your WC and bring it up until you have a KH you are comfortable with.

iTrader
    12 (100%)

I don't recommend Baking soda for raising kH. It't too short acting. Most folks used crushed coral in a media bag. It's best for helping maintain water stability.
    Mama Bear

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234