ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 120 Gallon Tank as Footboard to Cedar Bed

Real Name
    Nate

Default Re: 120 Gallon Tank as Footboard to Cedar Bed

Thank you Mick - It is so true; this community has been a huge help and there seems to be no end to the learning curve.
    120 Discus Show Tank / 125 Grow Out Tank / Fish Room (almost) Under Construction
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Nate

20181126_163011.jpg
    20181126_163214.jpg

Red Eagles that paired up today. No spawn yet, but they are getting ready.
    120 Discus Show Tank / 125 Grow Out Tank / Fish Room (almost) Under Construction
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Nate

20181126_160952.jpg

20181126_161011.jpg

20181126_161109.jpg

20181126_160934.jpg

A few close up shots of the wigglers. Counted over 75. Will they make it to the next stage?? The parents are making progress!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Nate

20181126_161200.jpg

20181126_161228.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nate, every time you post I'm afraid that you came home to a leak! I've had very small leaks heal themselves but it's not the normal thing. You are doing the right thing with your water. Your tap water is to die for. Congrats on the new pair. BTW, your tank is drop dead gorgeous.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Nate

Thank you Liz - The leak was scary! Thankfully it is completely leak free. There are now 3 measures in place to mitigate catastrophic outcomes - the drain pipe is no longer attached to the main drain so I cannot apply any pressure against the seal if I happen to bump or need to work on the main drain piping - the main drain has an oversized fitting attached under the tank overflow drain, so any leaks that may form will hopefully run down the drain pipe into the main drain, -and third, I now have water leak monitors set up in several places under the cabnet on the floor to warn of major leaks.

Was able to bring the pH up to 5.5 today. Shooting for 5.8 by late tomorrow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Nate

After slowly ratcheting up the pH over the past week with water changes, I was able to get the pH in my 120 and 125 that same. Since I watched the cardinal tetras in my community 120 eat all the wigglers from my Red Eagle x HB Giant Blue Turq pair, I decided to move the 4 pairs into the 125. Perhaps the 4 pairs, alone in their own tank, will spawn undisturbed and succeed at raising fry. In the mean time, I've got plans to build breeder tanks to provide the pairs optimum opportunity for success.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You could have just started changing water with aged tap, you know, but you were more comfortable doing it the long hard way. That's OK.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Get at it Nate, lol

Real Name
    Nate

A week after introducing the 4 pairs into the 125 there have been three spawns. No wigglers yet, but there is success in that the discus are all happy, eating well and have taken to defending their own spawning areas in the tank. A few days ago I acquired 1/2" acrylic, so this coming week I plan to construct 4 breeder tanks. Here are a few shots of the 125 tank...
    125 Tank.jpg
    125 School.jpg
    HB Blue Spawn in 125.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Looks great mate! Love the hard scape. Beautiful fish!!

Real Name
    Nate

Merry Christmas to all!

By way of update - All is well in the 120 and 125. Three of the four pairs in the 125 are spawning regularly, but no wigglers yet. The pump I used to lift the water from the basement 275 gal storage tank to the second floor was too loud and inefficient so I replaced it with a BlueLine 70 HD. In addition I ran 1" PVC up to the second floor from the basement to increase the overall efficiency of the system. I also replaced a 1/4" supply to the storage tank with a 1/2" supply line - went from a 6 hour fill up to 1:20. The old pump from Harbor Freight was inexpensive but loud and weak. It took 6 hours to pump the 275 gallons up to the second floor tanks. With the Blueline 70 the noise level is insignificant and it can pump 275 gallons to the second floor tanks in less than 2 hours - I actually recycle most of the water back through the storage tank because I don't want to run more than 275 gallons in 2 hours into the 120 and 125 gallon tanks.

The breeder tanks are a step closer. All the pieces for 4 breeder tanks are cut out. Just need to build the jigs and cement them together. The 1/2" acrylic was easy to cut. Achieved smooth edges using a new saw blade on my table saw and didn't experience any chipping or saw marking on the cut edges. Looking forward to starting the "glue" up tomorrow.

Pump.jpg

Plumbing.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345