ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 120 Gallon Tank as Footboard to Cedar Bed

Real Name
    Nate

Default Re: 120 Gallon Tank as Footboard to Cedar Bed

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FacaM7BnrJMUwDVQ9

The two discus on the left (Giant Blues) started their spawning dance 24 hours after introducing them into their new home.

Real Name
    Dave

well done.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Real Name
    Nate

Today is day 3 for the discus that I purchased from Kenny. All 18 are doing well. There are 3 pairs already defending their potential nesting areas. Here is what I received from Kenny:
    6 - Spotted Leopards
    6 - Tiger/Carnation Turquoise
    4 - Red Eagles
    2 - Forest Giant Blue

I cannot say it enough, Kenny provided the highest quality discus I've ever seen and he shipped them from CA to GA and they ALL arrived safe and sound. They acclimated to my aquarium immediately. Thank you again Kenny! All is well on day three. Here are a few pictures from earlier today:

20181102_131638.jpg
    20181102_131759.jpg
    20181102_134436.jpg

Real Name
    Nate

So I need some advice. I caused a leak in the fitting for my overflow where the bulkhead screws together at the bottom of the tank. I tried everything I could think of to tighten the nut and although I slowed the leak there is still a drip. Does anyone have a proven method of sealing a leak like that that doesnt require breaking down the tank?

I'm like Pat. I can think of nothing that might work. I would put a bucket under the leak and hope that enough tiny crap worked it's way into the leaking area to seal it. A perfectionist would drain the entire tank and start over but I'm not a perfectionist.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

I have used JB Weld on broken hot tub fittings. It works great and can be removed if you break it down. Just rough up the area to be sealed. mix it up, roll it up on a ball and smash onto the leak.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/J-B-Weld...7H-6/305284651

Real Name
    Nate

Thank you Jeep - do you know if the JB weld will stick to a surface that is wet?
    120 Discus Show Tank / 125 Grow Out Tank / Fish Room (almost) Under Construction
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Is the leak inside the overflow? If yes, lower the water level below the teeth of the overflow, drop a couple of sponges and heater in the tank. Drain the overflow and properly fix the drip.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Nate

Hi Second Hand Pat - Unfortunately I cannot do as you suggested because the overflow is the pipe coming up from the bulkhead. At this point I have the situation contained, albeit not properly fixed, because I cannot figure out how to get any more pressure than what I've already applied in tightening the nut on the bulkhead.
    120 Discus Show Tank / 125 Grow Out Tank / Fish Room (almost) Under Construction
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I have used JB Weld on broken hot tub fittings. It works great and can be removed if you break it down. Just rough up the area to be sealed. mix it up, roll it up on a ball and smash onto the leak.

This product doesn't say that it's recommended for glass and rubber and if the gasket is leaking I wouldn't.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post

I've done this with a waterproof jb weld. However, it was used on my plastic 55g drum. I cannot advise that it would work on glass.

Real Name
    Brian

JB is formulated specifically for wet conditions, but after double checking what the others said, I don't know if is would be a good solution after all. It works best when you can scuff up the surface and it may not work on glass. What does everyone think about Flex Seal tape?

I've never used or seen it in person, but from what I understand it is a silicone based. The trick would be getting the surface clean. The best place to apply it being inside the tank so that you you have water pressure working with you and not against may prove difficult.
    I'd add, check for toxicity. . .

Real Name
    Nate

Thank you all for offering advice. At this point the leak is completely stopped so I'm assuming as long as I don't disturb the seal again all will be well. By way of update, from the 18 discus I bought from Kenny just over a week ago, I now have a third pair that spawned.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What a relief that must be. I know that even a small drip must have been driving you nuts after all the hard, beautiful work you did.
    Mama Bear

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast