ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Algae or Cyno?

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Algae or Cyno?

How did the cyano far?Black out was completed yesterday.

Registered Member

Man it was an amazing transformation I've never seen anything like it. The tank looked like new with even the leaves and glass clear of any algae. How did this happen? How did the algae vanish from every part of the tank it's beyond my wildest expectations. Was just waiting a couple of days before I responded because it looked too good to be true and I half expected to see it return within 24 hours. Need to keep it like this now don't know what caused it that's the problem.Thanks for all your help. B

Real Name
    Mervin

Glad it worked.That method usually works for both cyano and algae.Make sure you do a large WC after the cover is removed;there was a lot of die off in the tank.

i'll have to remember the blackout method

the only way i got rid of bga before was with red slime or ultra life type chemicals.

Registered Member

Yes I did, changed 100% over two days the water is crystal clear. Thanks again best treatment advice I've had to date for actually solving the issue at hand. I knew it wasn't due to an overabundance of nutrients as P04 was <0.1ppm and N03 was <5ppm. Jack it's such a result I'd do it again without even thinking about it. B

i'm wondering if it would work for the green spot on my glass

Now that the issue is resolved - you'll need to improve the water circulation within the tank to insure the cyano doesn't return.
    Cyanobacteria is anaerobic which develops and survives in areas of low or non-existent oxygen levels.

You can improve oxygen levels within the tank's water (particularly near the bottom - substrate level where it generally starts) by adding a well-positioned water circulation pump, or at least an air stone, or power bar.

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    i'm wondering if it would work for the green spot on my glass
    You can but elbow grease would be the best bit.Usually the phosphate is too high or too low in your tank.It'll come back if you don't fix that.When I had planted tanks I would need to add phosphate to reduce the spot algae.

Registered Member

No Jack the green spots, albeit only a few, are still there the blackout doesn't clear them. Paul I have a great deal of water flow in my tank I think what happened was a blockage in the filter which slowed the water from the normally powerful spray bar hence this hadn't happened before and the set-up is 12 years old. Phosphates and Nitrates are negligible but not so low that the algae would form IMHO. B

Real Name
    Mervin

Algae is one of those things that will always get out of control once the you allow it.In most cases algae is just a part of a healthy environment;some folks don't mind some algae.Just unsightly to us.It's even more so with spot algae,it'll return within days and it depends on each set up,plants or not and ones water.Elbow grease is best.The 3 day black works well for beard/hair algae in the past for me too.I have done this over the years and it has always worked well for me.There are other ways to rid your tank of algae but this one will workout chemicals.

Registered Member

With all this I barely noticed that my matched pair have a brood of wrigglers hatched today on the tank glass. Not much hope in such a large tank with 10 other discus however. B

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123