AquaticSuppliers.com     Australian Blackworms

Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Medicine to Have on Hand

  1. #1
    Silver Member Jody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    69
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Jody M.

    Default Medicine to Have on Hand

    Hey there Simply gurus!

    As a precautionary measure, I am curious to know if there are a few medications that I should absolutely have on hand that cover a significant portion of the potential and most common discus diseases.

    I am sure this has been asked before, so I am happy to be redirected to another post

    Thank you,

    Jody-
    No you don't throw them...

    Jody-

  2. #2
    Moderator Team Pices's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    Posts
    1,103
    Blog Entries
    3
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Patty

    Default Re: Medicine to Have on Hand

    That’s a good question. It takes time to see the problem, post the problem, get recommendation for the problem, order med for problem, treat the problem. I’m thinking no because medications expire or would end up being the wrong med from what I remember reading here. I think Al recommended not to in a previous post, but some meds do seem to be recommended a lot.
    Maybe others could chime in? I’m curious if people here do keep certain meds on hand? Salt is always a good first step along with lg wc’s to help them in the interim which is what I currently do.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, Iím happy

  3. #3
    Silver Member Jody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    69
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Jody M.

    Default Re: Medicine to Have on Hand

    Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    That’s a good question. It takes time to see the problem, post the problem, get recommendation for the problem, order med for problem, treat the problem. I’m thinking no because medications expire or would end up being the wrong med from what I remember reading here. I think Al recommended not to in a previous post, but some meds do seem to be recommended a lot.
    Maybe others could chime in? I’m curious if people here do keep certain meds on hand? Salt is always a good first step along with lg wc’s to help them in the interim which is what I currently do.
    Patty
    Thank you, Patty
    No you don't throw them...

    Jody-

  4. #4
    Registered Member bluelagoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Halifax,Canada
    Posts
    1,206
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Mervin

    Default Re: Medicine to Have on Hand

    For me I have them on hand.I don't live next to a LPS where they have bulk.The small envelope packets are too expensive so I need them mailed in so I don't have to wait a week or so for meds;by that time the fish would be dead or too diseased.Malachite Green and Formalin mix,Furan 2,metronidazole and Kanamycin are what's in my fridge.

  5. #5
    Registered Member Cove Beach's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sheffield Lake Ohio
    Posts
    41
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Mark

    Default Re: Medicine to Have on Hand

    Epsom salt is another thing to have on hand for intestinal issues.

  6. #6
    Moderator Team Pices's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    Posts
    1,103
    Blog Entries
    3
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Patty

    Default Re: Medicine to Have on Hand

    Thanks Mervin! That’s one for the notebook.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, Iím happy

  7. #7
    Silver Member Jody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    69
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Jody M.

    Default Re: Medicine to Have on Hand

    Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    For me I have them on hand.I don't live next to a LPS where they have bulk.The small envelope packets are too expensive so I need them mailed in so I don't have to wait a week or so for meds;by that time the fish would be dead or too diseased.Malachite Green and Formalin mix,Furan 2,metronidazole and Kanamycin are what's in my fridge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Thanks Mervin! Thatís one for the notebook.
    Patty
    Quote Originally Posted by Cove Beach View Post
    Epsom salt is another thing to have on hand for intestinal issues.
    Thank you all for the help - I just don't want something to happen and then have to wait for medicine to ship if there is a reasonable amount of medicine that I can have on hand.
    No you don't throw them...

    Jody-

  8. #8
    Moderator Team jeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    O.P. KS
    Posts
    3,392
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Medicine to Have on Hand

    I recommend some Kanamycin. I got caught short handed in an emergency and will probably lose my discus because of this

  9. #9
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    111
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Medicine to Have on Hand

    Drugs in dry (tablet, powder, capsule) forms are usually good for decades beyond their expiration dates. There have been a number of studies done on the subject.

    It's a good idea to stockpile because you can avoid paying for expedited shipping, you can wait for a sale, prices generally go up, and the FDA sometimes makes drugs prescription-only.

  10. #10
    Moderator Team & Homesteader Altum Nut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    3,047
    iTrader
    5 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ralph

    Default Re: Medicine to Have on Hand

    Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I recommend some Kanamycin. I got caught short handed in an emergency and will probably lose my discus because of this
    I would agree with Brian....Kanamycin treats bacteria infections both internal and external.

    ...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

  11. #11
    Registered Member bluelagoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Halifax,Canada
    Posts
    1,206
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Mervin

    Default Re: Medicine to Have on Hand

    I get mine here,like some do on this site.They even ship to Canada.They have great service and prices.http://www.jehmco.com/html/medications.html

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Cafepress             AquaticSuppliers.com