ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Medicine to Have on Hand

Real Name
    Jody M.

Default Medicine to Have on Hand

Hey there Simply gurus!

As a precautionary measure, I am curious to know if there are a few medications that I should absolutely have on hand that cover a significant portion of the potential and most common discus diseases.

I am sure this has been asked before, so I am happy to be redirected to another post

Thank you,

Jody-
    No you don't throw them...

Jody-

Real Name
    Patty

Default Re: Medicine to Have on Hand

That’s a good question. It takes time to see the problem, post the problem, get recommendation for the problem, order med for problem, treat the problem. I’m thinking no because medications expire or would end up being the wrong med from what I remember reading here. I think Al recommended not to in a previous post, but some meds do seem to be recommended a lot.
    Maybe others could chime in? I’m curious if people here do keep certain meds on hand? Salt is always a good first step along with lg wc’s to help them in the interim which is what I currently do.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Jody M.

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    That’s a good question. It takes time to see the problem, post the problem, get recommendation for the problem, order med for problem, treat the problem. I’m thinking no because medications expire or would end up being the wrong med from what I remember reading here. I think Al recommended not to in a previous post, but some meds do seem to be recommended a lot.
    Maybe others could chime in? I’m curious if people here do keep certain meds on hand? Salt is always a good first step along with lg wc’s to help them in the interim which is what I currently do.
    Patty
    Thank you, Patty

Jody-

Real Name
    Mervin

For me I have them on hand.I don't live next to a LPS where they have bulk.The small envelope packets are too expensive so I need them mailed in so I don't have to wait a week or so for meds;by that time the fish would be dead or too diseased.Malachite Green and Formalin mix,Furan 2,metronidazole and Kanamycin are what's in my fridge.

Real Name
    Mark

Epsom salt is another thing to have on hand for intestinal issues.

Real Name
    Patty

Thanks Mervin! That’s one for the notebook.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Jody M.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    For me I have them on hand.I don't live next to a LPS where they have bulk.The small envelope packets are too expensive so I need them mailed in so I don't have to wait a week or so for meds;by that time the fish would be dead or too diseased.Malachite Green and Formalin mix,Furan 2,metronidazole and Kanamycin are what's in my fridge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Thanks Mervin! That’s one for the notebook.
    Patty
    Quote Originally Posted by Cove Beach View Post
    Epsom salt is another thing to have on hand for intestinal issues.
    Thank you all for the help - I just don't want something to happen and then have to wait for medicine to ship if there is a reasonable amount of medicine that I can have on hand.

Jody-

Real Name
    Brian

I recommend some Kanamycin. I got caught short handed in an emergency and will probably lose my discus because of this

Registered Member

Drugs in dry (tablet, powder, capsule) forms are usually good for decades beyond their expiration dates. There have been a number of studies done on the subject.

It's a good idea to stockpile because you can avoid paying for expedited shipping, you can wait for a sale, prices generally go up, and the FDA sometimes makes drugs prescription-only.

Real Name
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I recommend some Kanamycin. I got caught short handed in an emergency and will probably lose my discus because of this
    I would agree with Brian....Kanamycin treats bacteria infections both internal and external.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Mervin

I get mine here,like some do on this site.They even ship to Canada.They have great service and prices.http://www.jehmco.com/html/medications.html