AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: 1st time egg layer

Registered Member

Default 1st time egg layer

So to my surprise after giving up and making a community tank and adding one more discus to my current one discus community tank surprise eggs! Very few maybe 30 eggs and after 2 days the parents appear to be giving up! And fighting. My question is do they normally try again? What are they odds it's a one time thing... I am prepared to buy a 20g tank for them so it's done the right way. I have a room I never use in the house that would be nice a private. Thanks for any advice

Real Name
    Nate

Default Re: 1st time egg layer

My experience with breeding discus in a community tank is limited, but I can say my new pairs would respawn every couple of weeks and they would progressively get better at parenting their eggs/fry each time. Sometimes being in a community tank encourages them to spawn. Good luck!

Registered Member

I bought a 29 gal tank I added API quick start and stability by seahem. I will use for breeding tank. How long do you think it will take till you would add the pair of discus?

Real Name
    Nate

Do you have any sponge filters in your existing tank? Move one over to your 29gal tank if you do. Also, use the same water if possible. With an existing sponge filter and same water and a similar temp, you could move them immediately. Do you have a good way to make water changes?

Registered Member

Yes will do..thank you. Community tank doesn't need the sponge cause it's well established and is currently running 2 hanging ones. My question is since my newer 10 day in tank female hasn't even eaten yet and get bullying from it's mate.. would it be a good idea to move the bigger male by himself in the breeding tank? At least until my new one starts eating? Or move the newer one into the breed tank and rise the temperature from it's current 84.5 to 88 to spur earring? I have tried all foods and she shows no interest

Real Name
    Nate

The behavior of your two discus (the only two in the tank correct?) is odd from my experience for a proven pair. The lack of appetite with your newer female is not unusual. In my experience discus don't like to be alone. A proven pair can be alone together and they will thrive, but a single discus alone is usually not a good plan (speaking from my experience). So, if you are able, I recommend raising the temp to 86 in your community tank and feeding Hikari frozen blood worms. That may encourage your female to eat. My overall advice is to be patient. No need to rush getting the pair alone. Let the breeder tank mature (put living plants in it for now or another fish(s) to get the balance right in that tank. Let the pair lay eggs and figure out what they are doing. It will probably take many batches before they advance and figure out what they are supposed to do with the eggs, wigglers and swimmers. After your female is eating well and acclimated to her home, add in a more balanced diet like a beef heart mix or seafood mix. What do others of you think?
    120 Discus Show Tank / 125 Grow Out Tank / Fish Room (almost) Under Construction
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

I decided to get 2 more disus mature ones that have been proven breeders... I will add them to my community tank so I have 4 and a smaller one as well .. let them work thing out for a while then add the proven pair or mix switch them around...5 to a 90 g tank will stop the bullying .

Real Name
    Nate

More discus more better. In my 120 gal tank with 18 discus, there are now three pairs. In the next week I will put the unpaired 12 discus into a 125 grow out tank and leave the three pairs to get things figured out regarding the raising of their fry. In the meantime I get to figure out plans for rearing the brood.
    120 Discus Show Tank / 125 Grow Out Tank / Fish Room (almost) Under Construction
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]