ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tank plumbing

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

Default Tank plumbing

Hey all I hope this is in the right section. Hate to start my first post off on the wrong foot

I have a 4x2x2 with 2 x fluval 306 canister filters
    Want to hard plumb in canister filters

Why do I want to do this

I Would like to clean up the pipes outside and in the tank
    Would like to have them come through the bottom clean up inside the tank instead of having 2 inlets 2 outlets have just single in and out and heater would like to minimilise it all
    Being a closed system should be simple
    And fluval are known have crap built up inside ribbed hoses

What can i Paint pvc pipe with black that's fish safe I can't access krylon

What size pipes would I use in and out to suit two fluval 306 and in the future single fx5 replace the 2x306

Will run heaters inline now

Any pics of plumbing or ideas be greatly appreciated

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

Default Re: Tank plumbing

I was thinking 25mm for in and out for both filters and the fx4 is not a great deal more power want to think ahead and not going sump on this tank

I many years ago switched from Fluval canisters to a sump and have never been happier.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

Wasn't for the fact had 2 new canisters I would consider it isn't it bit overkill in fresh water in salt setups I used sump but always canisters or foam filters in fresh

Not at all overkill.
    I think it is the simplest, easiest to maintain and most effective.
    I have a few canisters down in my basement that I keep around as backups, but you couldn't pay me to set one up as my primary filter again.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

Oh ok I might have to reconsider see if I can get some coin back go with a sump then as this setup I have began pressurised co2 planted with tetras to discus and low tech plants so quiet the change over

In my opinion, especially when you have a drilled tank it's a no brainer.
    That said.. Give it some thought and see what other opinions you may get here.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I definitely know what works best for me ;-)

Real Name
    Rick May

Use whatever paint is on sale. You're not putting the paint in contact with the water, it is on the outside of the PVC pipe. Nothing is going to go through the PVC. I see this a lot, people worried about fish safe paint when the paint isn't going to be in contact with the water. Now, if you were wanting to paint tank decorations.....that's a diffrent story.

I second the sump over canister filter as well. I find sumps so much easier, better filters and have tons of utility (like hiding heaters). As a bonus, a sump also increases the water volume.
    Last edited by RickMay1; 11-07-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Some of the PVC will be going in the tank. Do you have access to colored PVC? Here in the US, various fish and furniture places stock colored sch 40 PVC.

I agree with slicksta and Rick; sumps are fine for freshwater. Definitely some differences compared to saltwater sumps, but we can help you along the way if you need it.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

Thanks guys I have listed my canisters up to recover 60% what I paid to go a sump

How would you guys setup a freshwater sump and how does it differ from salt aside from the calcium reactor and protein skimmer

The pipes wanted to come up through the bottom inlet and outlet was going to Paint those pipes black have closed canister system
    Last night discovered reef shop locally has black pvc not phased on colour outside under the tank
    I don't have room behind the tank hence coming up through the bottom

Thanks everyone

Sumps get pretty opinionated, but here's my favorite layout: http://swisstropicals.com/Web%20pict...p%20filter.pdf

Sheets of foam with gradually decreasing porosity (you don't need eight). This system is pretty low maintenance, as it relies on communities of microorganisms to process waste. Better than constantly swapping filter socks or polyester batting imo.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

Well that's certeinaly different what I'm used too see how these canisters go give it a few weeks if no interest will have to stick with me sadly lost to much money for changes and the handbrake is on to me about it all lol

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

So that's sheets of foam as the baffles did I understand that right?

I can't say that I totally agree with the only sheet foam approach. Foam is expensive, will break down the over time and gets clogged.
    I've found that some foam is good and placed before small bio_balls supply more than enough area for bacteria.
    Bio_balls never break down and are easier to maintain.

Quality foam will most certainly outlast the setup. Clogging is a function of porosity and stocking density. Starting with 10 ppi, 3-4 sheets of 20 ppi, and maybe a 30 ppi, it will take a long time (months to years) before clogging is an issue. It costs more than a simple Hydro sponge, but a 20 long with 5 sheets of 2" foam and a pump wouldn't cost more than two canisters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast