ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discus Newbie 55g Barebottom

Registered Member

Default Re: Discus Newbie 55g Barebottom

Nitrates finally rising, so hoping we are getting closer.

Perhaps it was a blessing in disguise that my fish are ready but my tank is not. It has given me a chance to get setup.

We have a long bathroom that has a second door in the back that leads to my work from home office. There is a closet next to that door that I converted into a water aging / wc workstation. I took the door off and removed most of the shelves. I used command strips to mount stuff so I could move it later if needed. I replaced the 44g trash can with a 55g water barrel. It just fits better in the space anyway. Barrel is about 20 feet from the tank.

IMG_1547.jpg

This is my personal favorite. This power strip lets you control each individual socket. So, when draining the barrel, I can just turn off the heater & airstone. I can leave the pump plugged in and just hit one switch to turn it on. Loving this.

IMG_1546.jpg

I also took the recommendation from someone on this forum to get the quick connects for the hoses. I just clip in and out of the faucet, the pump, siphon and fill hook. So easy. Trying to minimize the time in takes to wc.

IMG_1551.jpg

At the moment, it takes 35 minutes to drain 75%, 23 minutes to fill from aging barrel, and 25 minutes to fill the aging barrel back up. I'll probably do these during the work day, since it only takes 2-3 minutes to get the water going. I think I read that you should do WC's the same time of day? Is this true?

Other thoughts on the setup?

You're doing well, but given your set-up for WC, I'm not surprised that it takes that long.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

So, after 24 hrs, the pH in my aging barrel has only decreased .2 from 8.4 to 8.2. I am looking for it to bottom out at 7.4. I guess my little 10-30g air pump and air stone are not going to cut it. Guess I will try the SunSun powerhead today. See if that is any better. If not, I guess I'll need a stronger air pump. I tried my EcoPlus, but it is too loud for long periods of use. I do have to work in this space haha.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    So, after 24 hrs, the pH in my aging barrel has only decreased .2 from 8.4 to 8.2. I am looking for it to bottom out at 7.4. I guess my little 10-30g air pump and air stone are not going to cut it. Guess I will try the SunSun powerhead today. See if that is any better. If not, I guess I'll need a stronger air pump. I tried my EcoPlus, but it is too loud for long periods of use. I do have to work in this space haha.
    I hope others will chime in, but I think it's interesting that it's only dropped that much, yet goes to 7.4 in you tank. Makes me wonder if something else is going on in your tank. But maybe it'll get there in the aging barrel eventually.

Real Name
    Patty

I love my python and quick connects. I only regret not inventing it myself.
    I also think it’s weird that your ph isn’t the same as the tank in 24 hrs. What’s up with that?
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Registered Member

My guess is that air stone was not strong enough to aerate the water in 24 hrs. I used to have a 44g trash can and it took a little more than a day. I added my sun sun wave maker to the aging barrel to see if that helps.

Registered Member

well, confirmed the airstone and sunsun wave maker are not enough to aerate the 55g aging tank. pH reading 8.0 after 20hrs while my tank is at it's usual 7.4. what are folks using for pumps to aerate water in aging barrels?

Registered Member

I'll post better pics later, but here is the gang. I picked them up December 15th and they have been doing great. Changing 50-75% of water daily with a few skipped days here and there. Parameters are perfect, and they are eating well three times a day with beefheart and fdbw. I am trying the bio gold, but only a few have been eating them. Pecking order is being established, but no one seems to be getting bullied too much.

Got these guys from Dennis Discus (SD sponsor). He is awesome. Super friendly with amazing fish. I live nearby so I was able to pick them up in person.

IMG_1576 2.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Joe

Very Nice Rainbow assortment. Informative thread.
    Will be setting up a Planted? (driftwood with Plants attached) 75g -125g with 6-8 Discus come Springtime. So your water pH is 7.4-7.6. Correct. Northeast Ohio here, tap is 7.6. What is the TDS?

Registered Member

Yes, NW Ohio water for me comes out at 8.4 so I age it and it settles at 7.4-7.6 after 24 hours. Not sure about TDS as my supplier is also NW Ohio (Dennis) so I am not monitoring it.

If you are asking if my tank will be planted, not sure yet. I think once they are a year or more older I might add some light sand and some tall wood "trunks" like the image below from the Toledo Zoo aquarium... Light background tho I think...

IMG_1528.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12