AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Two males fighting to death.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Default Re: Two males fighting to death.

Ok, i'll give that a Go. I should have wigglers by Friday. Should I remove her at the wiggler stage or remove her now?

Remove her now, before she has a chance. In your case I bet she is the culprit because she beat her husband up so badly.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Remove her now, before she has a chance. In your case I bet she is the culprit because she beat her husband up so badly.
    Hey, Liz.

Eggs were gone when I got home that day. Nonetheless, she laid eggs last night and he fertilized. I went with my gut feeling and removed the male. I guess we will soon find out who's the culprit. Hopefully it's one of them and not both of them =/.. She was too happy fanning her eggs so I could not take her out. He was keeping his distance.

Good luck
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Eggs are gone! They are both together again and on the next attempt, I'll remove her. If the male eats the eggs, I may be forced to sell the female or male. I cannot have the pairs in the display tank since my other discus nearly killed the pair male.

Not sure what to do. I really do not want to give up on them, and I definitely want to give a fry growout a chance. It's different growing your own than buying from a store; you're in control from the very beginning.

Registered Member

Put a screen over the eggs. In your case from what you said it would have to be
    a screen the size of the foam and held out a little bit from the eggs.
    Jay

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

I've done that, and they'll just eat the free swimmers. I guess I can attempt it one more time when I move them in the breeder. But that's not for another 2 months or so.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I feel you mate...my proven pair don't seem to wanna raise fry in the same tank as the other 5 adult discus, even though there is a divider separating them...argh, it's frustrating for sure

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    I feel you mate...my proven pair don't seem to wanna raise fry in the same tank as the other 5 adult discus, even though there is a divider separating them...argh, it's frustrating for sure
    Indeed! So finally, they laid eggs last night. I moved the female and guess what? The male ate the eggs. It seems like both are bad parents. I might have to sell the female since two males are fighting over her. Or should I give it another go? I can potentially protect the eggs and hope they don’t eat ar the free swimming stage. However, i’ve done this in the past and the free swimmers get eaten within the hour.

I’ve been patient. This is a year and a half dealing with this pair.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123