ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Pumps

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul M. Kaplowitz

Default Pumps

2 years ago I bought 2 Eheim 3000 pumps. One for the tank sump and 1 for the aging barrel. Both are putting out half of what the did when new. I've checked the adlustment and cleaned them thoroughly. I am going to replace them.. The Danner Mag 7 looks good. What do you think? Thanks

Default Re: Pumps

I have 3 mag's in different water storage containers. They are workhorses no doubt, but not exactly quiet. I'd look into the Sicce line or a DC pump for something like a sump.

I have a Danner 9.5 in each of my sumps, one is in my bedroom. They are virtually silent and everyone remarks on how quiet my setup is. I do keep up on maintaining them and replace the impeller when needed

Registered Member
    Real Name
    harry g

I bought a current usa dc pump for sump on 4 1 18 & i'm happy with it so far. I sure hope i'm saving on electric but the bill omly goes one way.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerschh2 View Post
    I bought a current usa dc pump for sump on 4 1 18 & i'm happy with it so far. I sure hope i'm saving on electric but the bill omly goes one way.
    The DC pumps are nice and have some nice features like energy efficiency. But one draw back is flow rate.
    The 6009 at 30watts with 6' feet of head pressure the flow rate drops from 1050 gph to 510gph.
    The Danner 9.5 @ 93watts drops from 1010gph to 710gph @ 6'
    So you might have to jump to the next size up, the 6010 which starts to get a little pricey.. But you do get the energy efficiency and the speed control. If you have the fun ticket$ to spend, the DC looks to be a nice option.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    harry g

I followed there formula for pipe loss [size & length] height of tank & I used the size pump they said & can run it at half speed no more. don't know why.

I followed there formula for pipe loss [size & length] height of tank & I used the size pump they said & can run it at half speed no more. don't know why.
    That would be a good question for the manufacturer.

I read some more reviews (which I always take with a grain of salt) and it seems there might be a quality issue with the DC... Particularly the controller.

That would be a good question for the manufacturer.

I read some more reviews (which I always take with a grain of salt) and it seems there might be a quality issue with the DC... Particularly the controller. That's the problem with hi-tech aquarium equipment, they're usually not built to reliable standards.
    I've got a bunch of heaters with dead controllers. :-P
    I wouldn't worry about it just yet... Like I said, you have to take reviews with salt.

Registered Member

I have the cor20 in my tank and love it