ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Bypassing BBS

Registered Member

Default Bypassing BBS

Is it possible to bypass BBS with discus fry? Can they go from parents to Frozen beef heart if kept in the same tank long enough? Is this being foolish?? lol

Default Re: Bypassing BBS

Quote Originally Posted by megatrev62 View Post
    Is it possible to bypass BBS with discus fry? Can they go from parents to Frozen beef heart if kept in the same tank long enough? Is this being foolish?? lol
    They sure will start pecking on the parents food between 2 and 3 weeks.

But I would not recommend adding beefheart that early. High chances on them choking on it, I personally seen that and had to remove the pieces sticking out of their mouths.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by sanjay21 View Post
    They sure will start pecking on the parents food between 2 and 3 weeks.

But I would not recommend adding beefheart that early. High chances on them choking on it, I personally seen that and had to remove the pieces sticking out of their mouths.
    Thank you, never thought of that. I have hatched lots of BBS over the years for various fry, just thought this would be possible since the fry get nutrition form the parents for many weeks. I'll head to the ocean and pick up a few buckets of water....can't beat it for the BBS.

Quote Originally Posted by megatrev62 View Post
    Thank you, never thought of that. I have hatched lots of BBS over the years for various fry, just thought this would be possible since the fry get nutrition form the parents for many weeks. I'll head to the ocean and pick up a few buckets of water....can't beat it for the BBS.
    HI,
    I wouldn't do that... You really only need salt. just pick up some some water softener salt (sodium chloride) or kosher salt at the grocery store. You never know what the seawater will add to the bbs.

as for your question.. You don't need BBS. You will have the best success and most even growing fry if you use it though.

The fry will feed off the parents but chew them raw if theres too many , thats where the BBs comes in. It allows for more even growth, higher numbers of fry and is clean to feed. But as long as you add additional foods that small enough for them to eat, and you maintain good water quality you can raise them without BBS. I have done it with finely ground pellets, and finely ground Freeze Dried blackworms. The key is to soak it well, feed small amounts often.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    HI,
    I wouldn't do that... You really only need salt. just pick up some some water softener salt (sodium chloride) or kosher salt at the grocery store. You never know what the seawater will add to the bbs.

as for your question.. You don't need BBS. You will have the best success and most even growing fry if you use it though.

The fry will feed off the parents but chew them raw if theres too many , thats where the BBs comes in. It allows for more even growth, higher numbers of fry and is clean to feed. But as long as you add additional foods that small enough for them to eat, and you maintain good water quality you can raise them without BBS. I have done it with finely ground pellets, and finely ground Freeze Dried blackworms. The key is to soak it well, feed small amounts often.

hth,
    al
    Thank you for your reply.The reason I use the ocean water is I'm in Newfoundland surrounded by it and many here including me have used it for reef tanks as well as hatching the shrimp without adverse affects. Hatched it for angels and Bangaii cardinal fry with good results.Is there something in particular with discus fry to be concerned about? The water is only 10 minutes from the house. Please don't get me wrong, I totally get what you're saying. Thanks

Seems going with the bbs is important.

By all means use BBS. I wouldn't consider trying to raise baby Discus without it.

As far as using your ocean water, if you think it's worth the effort it will take, go for it. There is always a risk when you use "wild" water it's, unlikely but you might introduce a pathogen that does harm. I'll go for tap water and a spoonful of table salt. It's so much easier.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Willie

I've successfully weaned fry from BBS to minced beefheart as early as 11 days free swimming. Although fry will feed readily on BBS, I don't see much growth until they switch over to beefheart.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    By all means use BBS. I wouldn't consider trying to raise baby Discus without it.

As far as using your ocean water, if you think it's worth the effort it will take, go for it. There is always a risk when you use "wild" water it's, unlikely but you might introduce a pathogen that does harm. I'll go for tap water and a spoonful of table salt. It's so much easier.
    Thank you for commenting. Yeah I may play it safe this time. And congrats !!!!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I've successfully weaned fry from BBS to minced beefheart as early as 11 days free swimming. Although fry will feed readily on BBS, I don't see much growth until they switch over to beefheart.

Willie
    Thank you. As I say. the reason I asked for any and all input. Thanks again

Registered Member

I did go with the kosher salt....all good.