AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Greetings from Ireland

Registered Member

Default Greetings from Ireland

Hello all,

My name is Santiago and live in Ireland, was keeping African cichlids, had Malawis for almost 4 years and switched to Tanganyikans for 3 years and kept many many species, I also kept a tank with Amazon biotope with some plecos, neons etc - I now decided to get into Discus, my display tank is a 500 liter with a sump, got UV light, etc

Started with Discus a couple of months ago and they are definitely more challenging than African cichlids, I keep water as clean as possible ( Nitrates 10-20 ) do water changes every 2-3 days, water is at 7.5 and hope with wood and almond leaves it will get better for discus

I decided to switch to Discus due to how beautiful and peaceful they are, African cichlids are boisterous and chasing each other all the time, so thought it was time to relax a little and take on a new challenge

Happy to be in this forum as I see there are many knowledgable members and very interesting threads !

Cheers !

Santiago

Default Re: Greetings from Ireland

Could you post a pic of your tank, please? Is it planted? How large are the Discus? How much of a pH swing you have with water from the tap and after it has been aged for 24 hrs? 10-20 nitrates sounds very high to me.

I suggest that you look in the beginners section. You will find stuff there about keeping Discus that you will want to know.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Hello and thanks for reply ... I have not yet figured out how to add pics but will post as soon as I dig in the forum for more info on how all it works ... I have a Youtube video

I have substrate, not heavily planted, working on reducing nitrates as you are probably right regarding Nitrates, never had to worry about it when keeping African cichlids

Currently reading beginners section and learning quite a few :-)
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 11-06-2018 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Embed video

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

You can post directly from your mobile if your photos are under 2mb. Once you hit reply, there is a little picture frame you can click. Beautiful discus you have and I’m glad you started with adults. Grats on the heckel eggs.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Welcome to Simply Santiago, I embedded your video in your post above. Nice looking tank and fish
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Hi and welcome to Simply Discus, I totally agree discus tanks are a lot more serene than africans. I still have my two mbuna tanks in the living room but keep my discus in the bedroom, a lot more relaxing. You are also correct in observing they are more demanding, never changed so much water in my life!

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Nice Santiago! You have some really pretty discus there mate.
    Whereabouts in Ireland are you living? I'm an aussie living in the US atm, but lived in Sandimount in Dublin in 99', out on the mouth of the Liffey River. Beautiful country and people.
    All the best to ya matey!!

Registered Member

Thank you very much

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    You can post directly from your mobile if your photos are under 2mb. Once you hit reply, there is a little picture frame you can click. Beautiful discus you have and I’m glad you started with adults. Grats on the heckel eggs.
    Thank you very much, think I need to edit my pics to be a bit smaller ..Cheers !

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Welcome to Simply Santiago, I embedded your video in your post above. Nice looking tank and fish
    Pat
    That is very nice of you Pat ... Thanks a lot :-)

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Nice Santiago! You have some really pretty discus there mate.
    Whereabouts in Ireland are you living? I'm an aussie living in the US atm, but lived in Sandimount in Dublin in 99', out on the mouth of the Liffey River. Beautiful country and people.
    All the best to ya matey!!
    Very nice mate, I live in the South ... Sandyford it is close enough to the city center !

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    Hi and welcome to Simply Discus, I totally agree discus tanks are a lot more serene than africans. I still have my two mbuna tanks in the living room but keep my discus in the bedroom, a lot more relaxing. You are also correct in observing they are more demanding, never changed so much water in my life!
    You are right and great you still have mbunas, they were my first African cichlids and had them for a while before moving to other species of Malawis