AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fin Rot or something else?

Registered Member

Default Re: Fin Rot or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I was afraid of this. This is why its important we have pictures.Theres no easy way to say this but all your discus are sick with one being ok but stunted. The culprit is possibly parasites but most likely just being in the wrong environment and not getting optimal care. Young discus are easily stunted and in your planted tank and the fish species you have coupled with your food and water change schedule it was not the right way to keep them. My goal in the disease forum is to help members with their fish problems but sometimes its just not possible. Your fish as they are now probably will waste away and die. Even if you changed everything to make it a focus on Discus they are too far gone to turn around except maybe one.

My advice, as much as I hate to give it here is to cull the group and start overafter reading up on our beginners board. Theres an excellent guide there too by discuspaul thats a good read and a video link.

Im sorry to have to tell you this but it would be best to euthanize these and if Discus are of interest do it in a fashion more specific for discus. At the least cull them all but the one.

al
    Thanks Al, I appreciate you getting back to me with some solid information it's sad i'll have to part with them especially after being sold so many fish and trying my hardest to give them the best home possible.
    I'll sadly have a look at ways to euthanize the discus in the most humane manner possible. I was wondering if the beginners section goes into detail about how to understand parasites, disease/ stunting?
    Is the spotted discus able to recover at all or is the only fish with the chance to survive the largest one of the group? and if you don't mind me asking I'd just like to know why so I have a greater understanding for when I get back into discus later down the track.
    Cheers, Nikk

Default Re: Fin Rot or something else?

Nikk,Theres much info on culling, disease, what to look for in the beginners board and through the use of the search function on the board. There is a lot to learn and Simply is the place to learn it before you get more discus.

The "spotted " one is badly stunted and sickly. Though its possible it survives it likely will never thrive and as such can be a reservoir for disease should you mix it with new stock.Its also not a very attractive specimen in its stunted condition as far "discus" go.The larger one is also stunted but has faired the best.Its never going to be huge but it looks ok healthwise. I suspect that fish is an adult by its coloration and fin shape despite its small size.

Im sorry the news wasnt good. I hope you look into the discus info here and try it again with the focus on Discus.
    hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12