Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
Welcome to Simply. Unfortunately, you'll need to unlearn reef techniques to successful raise discus. Here's an example.

My tanks have a heater, a sponge filter and fish. All the money is focused on getting superior genetics.

At our local fish shows, I spend a lot of time looking at the reef tanks. The reefers also spend a lot of time looking at my discus. Here is the fundamental difference between two very different tank set ups.

A reef tank is an exercise in restraint. Huge amounts of equipment is used, most of which is trying to take out nutrients and metabolites. The system is extremely delicate so a lot of technology and very little biomass are requirements for success. Raising discus, in contrast, is like raising pigs. Dump a lot of food in the trough, hose it out, rinse and repeat. Do it consistently and you'll get great fish. Do it inconsistently and you'll get stunted footballs.

Good luck, Willie
Amen on that. I have never had such pigs in my life. They can be well fed, fat, and happy only to beg for more food when I walk by the tank. I thought my dogs were always in my shadow... these guys go crazy when anything goes near the tank. I go to vacuum or do water changes and they think its food coming and fly up to whatever goes in. I went to net something out of the bottom and they even swam right into the net looking for food... I swear I dont starve them!!! lol.

It is nice to not have as much equipment to monitor and service. My Apex has gone from super power house to very expensive PH & Temp monitor. I am going to setup my DoS to do constant water changes again so that can all be automated for me.