ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Time Reefer Turned to the "Dark Side" :-)

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: Long Time Reefer Turned to the "Dark Side" :-)

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    That was pretty much over my head, I'm afraid.
    haha after years of reefing I am a water chemistry nut some time. Essentially, I have ammonia in my tap water, which is not uncommon around here during hurricane season because they have to keep the water supply clean so they boost chlorine/chloramines and ammonia. By lowering the PH I am converting ammonia into less toxic ammonium. If I leave the PH high I will leave more toxic ammonia in the water :-)

But won't Prime fix it?
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

But won't Prime fix it?
    Prime only binds ammonia, nitrite, nitrate for 24-48 hours. So even if I treat the water I will have to treat the whole tank with prime every 24-48 hours with frequent water changes. By the time my biofilter consumes it I will be doing another water change just adding more :-(

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Discus Stock so far... a few were just introduced and had a black background until today so we are working on the peppering on 2 of them :-) And cleaning is tonight... dirty bums.

1x Gold Pigeon
    2x Snakeskin
    1x Marlboro Red
    1x Red Melon
    2x Hans Flachen
    1x Hans German Wonder
    1x Blue Diamond
    1x Red Pigeon
    1x Super Red Turquoise

https://imgur.com/a/MubsQgK

Have a Hans Checkerboard on order through my LFS that I will have in the next couple weeks.
    Last edited by Zyvo; 11-09-2018 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Removed iframe

Mike,
    Welcome to Simply! I think you will like Discus alot.A couple of things here... first I Think you need to put the reef mind set aside a bit. Discus are a bit more simple in the their needs.. . Clean water...good stock . good food.

You want to ditch the buffers and chemicals.. most everyone here uses Prime if they have ammonia or chloramines and just does frequent water changes..

I get what you are saying about the Ammonia and pH but really Prime will lock up the ammonia and your biological filter will consume it. If the the tank isnt cycled, prime and water changes will keep it discus safe with
    water changes until it cycles. Manipulating your pH is nota good plan and really isnt needed.

One area though that I see potentially a problem is your quarantine. You need to be very careful with where the fish come from and how you quarantine. It sounds like you arent quarantining?

Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 11-09-2018 at 06:23 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Thanks Brewmaster!
    I have already started to see some personalities coming out already and they are great so far!

I guess I just interpret "clean" water to be 0/0/0 from the source... but youre right, I lost some very expensive reef fish early in my career due to bad source water so I have been semi-anal about it since. The tank is still young and the bio hasn't totally established and diversified to be as efficient as it could be. I have never cared for PH manipulation in the past because of the potential to deplete the buffer and cause a PH crash. Im not saying its permanent I just worry about my lovely city tap haha. Prime is a great tool!

I don't know what led you to believe I don't quarantine? I have 3 29g quarantine setup (2x sponge 1x UV Canister) and 2 more breeders dry and ready to go each with their own nets and vacs that get the alcohol treatment ;-) I bought the discus in 2 waves, first was about a month or so ago from an LFS that gets them directly from Hans and goes up there and hand picks from their stock. Those were quarantined at their store for a month together (I picked them out and had them start quarantine for me) and then I quarantined them for another ~10 days at my place. The second batch I have I ordered from a place I have ordered from in the past and I know how they quarantine. Those I also quarantined for about ~14 days. I know its a few days short of what is preferred quarantine time but after treatment and monitoring they seemed good to go. I probably should of waited in between a bit more for the bio load to adjust but parameters were ok after the addition. I just put the 2nd batch in Wednesday and they are eating and playing nicely so far.

It's the mixing of the fish between sellers that gets people in trouble. No matter how long the Discus from each group is together with any problem they could carry a pathogen that the other group has never experienced. Most times people get lucky.

The correct way to QT is to do all the stuff you did plus introduce a sacrificial lamb from one group to the other.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

sacrificial lamb
    Funny, I actually used to do that with my Tangs due to them being exclusively wild caught and prone to disease early on... they are the only fish I have ever had issues with. I didn't realize that was something that people did... I thought I was the only one doing it but I guess I wasn't as smart as I thought I was haha.

Usually people get away with it. When we don't, it's almost always something that we here know how to treat. There are also a couple of times when it's necessary to sterilize everything and start from scratch. I have been through all three. I have been through the third thing that I have been through twice. It's no fun.
    Mama Bear

Hi Mike,
    Having fielded the Disease board here since the forum's birth I have seen much. I am fanatical in my QT preachings here as there are few things I hate more than to watch a Discus Keeper lose fish .. A proper Qt is essential.

Those were quarantined at their store for a month together (I picked them out and had them start quarantine for me) and then I quarantined them for another ~10 days at my place
    In effect the fish were only quarantined 10 days. Never Never trust a seller to Quarantine for you. A fish store, for example, often gets in multiple fish shipments during the "quarantine period" and odds are high of cross contamination. You also really don't know what someone else is doing if you are not there. Good husbandry is a large part of QT. Quarantine starts when you take possession of the fish.

Theres a good discussion here...
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ine-*questions

Be sure to read to the end as it spans years and procedures evolve over time.

A 6 week or longer Quarantine period is my recommendation. Some would say that's excessive, Its my bare minimum based on my experiences and research. You also need to Quarantine all fish species that go in your tanks. Most fish pathogens we deal with are not discus specific.

Obviously people are free to do as they please with their fish, I can only make suggestions to try and help them avoid pitfalls. The disease board is full of members whose issues could have been avoided if they were patient and quarantined adequately.

Hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Filip

HI and welcome to Simply discus Mike .
    How are your Stendkers doing so far ?
    What have you decided to do with your water , do you RO or just went with aged + prime ?
    Photos would be nice too .

Real Name
    Willie

Welcome to Simply. Unfortunately, you'll need to unlearn reef techniques to successful raise discus. Here's an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyvo View Post
    ...Running 4L of matrix, 1-2L ceramic rings, and 4lbs of lava for BIO. Purfilirum, ChemiPure, and Zeovit for chemical filtration and a few almond leaves.Had to down power my return so decided to go with the new Jebao DCP-8000 sine return pump running at around 50-60%. Went bare bottom with a few med vertical standing pieces of driftwood and some slate for aesthetics. Planning to do either 60g water changes 2-3 times a week or 20-40g 3-5 times a week...
    My tanks have a heater, a sponge filter and fish. All the money is focused on getting superior genetics.

At our local fish shows, I spend a lot of time looking at the reef tanks. The reefers also spend a lot of time looking at my discus. Here is the fundamental difference between two very different tank set ups.

A reef tank is an exercise in restraint. Huge amounts of equipment is used, most of which is trying to take out nutrients and metabolites. The system is extremely delicate so a lot of technology and very little biomass are requirements for success. Raising discus, in contrast, is like raising pigs. Dump a lot of food in the trough, hose it out, rinse and repeat. Do it consistently and you'll get great fish. Do it inconsistently and you'll get stunted footballs.

Good luck, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Patty

“Raising discus, in contrast, is like raising pigs.” I love this analogy Willie! So true and made me chuckle. I’m sure I’ll be thinking of this when I “hose down the trough today..” ha ha
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

I've never heard the difference explained so well.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    HI and welcome to Simply discus Mike .
    How are your Stendkers doing so far ?
    What have you decided to do with your water , do you RO or just went with aged + prime ?
    Photos would be nice too .
    Everyone is doing great so far! I ended up bringing my SpectraPure 180gpd RO unit back up and converted my old salt mixing station to freshwater aging and took out the DI cartridge and replaced it with a 2nd Chloromine Carbon block. Then I add a little Seachem Replenish to pull the GH up a little and dose Discus Trace 1-2x a week. This gives me very consistent water at 6.4ph, 2kh, 4gh, and of course 0 Ammonia/Chlorine/Chlormines.

Here is a pic https://imgur.com/a/9zoX2PW

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast