AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: RO water? Cunfu

Registered Member

Default RO water? Cunfu

Ok I bought 2 beautiful discus both 6 to 6.5 inch! One solid blue on solid Red! They are proven breeders! Previous own bad them for over a year and he told me they always breed. He told me they will not breed unless it's 83 degrees and ro waters is used ...he said he bought the water at the supermarket. Always from the supermarket. ..my question

1..is supermarket water true RO?
    If so he never added minieral and don't you need to add minerals back

2.. He said 83 degrees or they 💯 will not lay or eggs hatch.

They look like really heathy fish! I have always used 24 or longer aged heated water at 84.5 to 85 degrees..
    Any advice it well welcomed

Thanks All

Registered Member

Default Re: RO water? Cunfu

Really how someone can help me with my RO questions... Thanks

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Well, as far as I know the "RO" supermarket water is generally distilled water meaning if you measure the TDS, it is zero. RO water generally has a low TDS. My RO water generally has a TDS of about 11. How did the previous owner define proven breeders? Lay eggs, had wigglers, raise fry from this pair? As far as I am concerned you need some minerals in the water so you do not have fry deformities.

When I use RO water I generally use 1/3 tap to 2/3 RO and aim for a TDS of about 70.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

They had successfully had Wiggler's! He told me they had thousands and showed me the Wiggler's in 2 stages. Had said he sold many to a local wholesaler. He had another pair it a tank that where also laying eggs at the time so he made me come back an hour later as he didn't want to disturb them ..

Real Name
    Willie

Rather than just giving you a hip shot, what is your current water condition? Do you have any measurements? If not, you can probably take a sample to your LFS and ask them to measure it for you.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

My brother just now gave me an RO system it says 50 gpd. With this system do I need to add minerals back.. what do you think of this system. Thanks again

Like Willie said, check your water parameters. Unless your water is terrible you should be able to use part tap and part RO. Aim for a TDS under 90.
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Lewjo11, a 50 gpd RO unit will provide RO if you need it but everyone's water is different and it is best to get a handle on your water before doing anything. Best to know ph, TDS, GH and KH. Your water could be soft and perfect for breeding. I would not get to hung up on what the previous owner said. Get to know your water and the fish will teach you the rest.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Water stability is the key as well. My fish laid and raised fry in water that was fairly hard and a ph of 8.0. I aged my water in a tank over night to de-gas it and stabilize the ph. Like all said above you must have an idea of you water parameters first.
    I never once used R.O. my second time around with Discus.
    Most do large water changes daily mine was 80-90%.