ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New Pair

Default New Pair

Two of my Discus have paired up in my 90 gallon community tank. They have laid eggs once but they either ate them or were eaten by another Discus. I’m getting my 55 gallon tank set up for them. I heard it might be a good idea to let them spawn again to strengthen their bond befor I move them into their own tank. What do you think?

Default Re: New Pair

Personally, I don't think it matters.
    Mama Bear

Here’s the pair. Male is the Red Melon. Female is, really don’t know what to call this one?59EAC5BA-21C6-4CAF-BDC5-A0D3FF777B6B.jpg38056577-8F56-4A61-B827-F40AB33EF544.jpg They laid eggs on the cone. Not too many. Maybe 30. They did hatch and they moved them.

The female is a Pigeon Blood. It should make a good cross without a whole lot of peppering. Glad to see that the pair is making progress.
    Mama Bear

Eggs hatched. Fry are swimming around parents. Hopefully feeding off parents. This is my first time with Discus spawning. How long do fry feed off parent, before I have to start feeding BBS? This is their first spawn too. They’re only about 25 fry. If you look close you can see them.2AF82094-F71E-4E9F-9A05-D15B8CFC204C.jpgD0A0FC3C-DA85-4142-BF14-0DD9E2EE465E.jpg7EBC2D3A-0F81-40A3-8333-CC49B15AE40D.jpg

Also do I up my water changes now that the fry are free swimming? Or wait till I start feeding them the BBS? I was doing 50% two times a week.

Fry are all gone now. Eaten, but by who ,I don’t know. At one point I did see some fry at one end of the 55 gallon while parents were on other end. Could just be inexperience of pair. They didn’t seem to care for the fry much. I did order a piece of Poret Foam to use as a tank divider. I’ll put it in as soon as I get it. Hopefully they’ll breed again.