ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: I bought a Betta

Default I bought a Betta

I've tried buying them before but finally gave up. Eventually I would suck them up during WC. My pump is so strong that once they get sucked into the hose they're gonners.

I was at the LFS delivering a bunch of Angles last Monday and remembered my tank in the office that I drain by gravity. I realized that I could try a Betta again. I looked at all the cups and decided upon this guy. I floated the bag for a long time so all my Angels could check him out and attack the bag if they wanted to. Once the Angels decided to ignore him I turned him loose.

For the first couple of days I think he was freaked out about all the 125 gallons he had to swim in. Imagine spending your entire life in a little jar and suddenly being given what must have seemed like all the room in the world. He's comfortable now and swimming all over the tank. I think that he's a very handsome dude.

DSC_0003.jpg
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 11-11-2018 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Attached picture
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Patty

Default Re: I bought a Betta

That’s another fish I’ve always loved and felt sorry for in those little cups. I’m surprised the angels didn’t nip him. Good to know. You think I could put one with my feisty bunch of angels? That’s a beauty you’ve got there.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    That’s another fish I’ve always loved and felt sorry for in those little cups. I’m surprised the angels didn’t nip him. Good to know. You think I could put one with my feisty bunch of angels? That’s a beauty you’ve got there.
    Patty
    You'll be taking a risk just as I knew I was. If you decide to do it float the bag for a long time so the angels can get their aggression out of their system. Having as many plants as you have will give him a place to hide. If you decide to get one post a pic of him. Good luck!
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Patty

It’ll be a while. I just added my cories and cardinals today that I’ve had in quarantine. Also, finding a healthy one will be a challenge. I also worry about introducing disease into my healthy tank. Your lucky you have a reliable source there. The good news is the angels are accepting the new tankmates so far.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Dave

Liz,
    Get a female and put her in a mason jar inside the tank and he will start to blow a bubble nest. Once the nest is built you can let the female out of the tank and see if they mate
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Nice crown tail! I got one male of each (CT, VT and HM), everyone in their own 10 gal planted, got a few Norman's lampeye fish in one, at some point may put a few rasboras in the others. At some point may try the more peaceful cousins (Betta imbellis). Probably after discus Betta are the fish where aesthetics are scrutinized in the most minute detail

Quote Originally Posted by dagray View Post
    Liz,
    Get a female and put her in a mason jar inside the tank and he will start to blow a bubble nest. Once the nest is built you can let the female out of the tank and see if they mate
    I'd like to try that. The eggs will not hatch in my hardish water but If they do the deed, I can set up a 10 gallon in the fish room for them and add Roobois tea like I do for the Discus and Angels. I breed Pearl Gouramies in a 190 gallon tub outside during the summer months. This year I was lucky to see the embrace. It was so cool.
    Mama Bear

Nice crowntail, Liz. Those fins certainly pop.

Paul mentioned imbellis, mahachaiensis is another good wild pick. Super docile, and its native waters are hard and brackish. Raising a spawn even in Phoenix tap is no problem. They're also snail eaters!

Real Name
    Matt

They are cool fish. 950C4E91-027F-487B-AE7C-D7D84FBB194A.jpgI always keep one in the wall hanger above a Discus tank

Real Name
    Matt

I should point out for those with keen eyes, the male discus on the left is covered in babies.