AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Temperature fluctuating tank help

Registered Member

Default Temperature fluctuating tank help

I purchased a 29 gal complete tank from Petco. Tank is great but temp is fluctuating 81.7, 82.3 ,82.8 and now this morning 82.1. would I be better to add my back up 300 watt one in this tank... would that make it more stable or is it too powerful. Thank you

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Temperature fluctuating tank help

I do not think that is enough of a fluctuation to be concerned about. Do you have other tanks where the temp does not fluctuate?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Agree with Pat, that's not enough to worry about. Fish in the wild probably experience bigger changes overnight or even just swimming up a few feet in the water column.

The 300 watt is too powerful for a 29. I would take the heater back to Petco and tell them the problem. They may give you a replacement. If not, stick it back in your tank and order one of these from Jehmco. They are cheap of dirt and more reliablw well as more long lasting than most. Except for my water storage containers, where I use Aqueon heaters, they're the only brand heater I buy any more.

WBPHG-150
    150 watt Glass Submersible Heater
    $11.75
    Mama Bear

Yeah, Pat is right. Forget what I said.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Thank you and Pat. My 90 gal is constantly 83.3 to 83.5....I was happy at the 82.3 when. I got home from work and it seemed consistent. I want it to match my other tank. When I got home I turned my heat on in the house and it quickly went to 82.8. it's in a small Den. Will it fluctuate less at 83.5. does it hurt to add my 300 watt heater. Will it get me a better results. Thanks

Registered Member

The reason why I'm concerned is clear in my RO post. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. I haven't gotten any response to it yet... Thanks

Registered Member

Do not worry about a few 1/10's of degrees. If it was say 5-7 I'd worry there's something wrong with the heater. I'm sorry but refresh me are these the discus the previous owner said spawn at 83°? My discus go through spurts where they lay eggs many times a month then might go 3-4 months before a repeat. Relax and provide water stability and consistent water quality and the will reward you with egg laying. The quality of food fed greatly helps as well. Live or freeze dried blackworms as well as frozen bloodworms and chopped red worms are very good to add with a good high protein pellet food. My discus have spawned anywhere from 80° all the way to the upper high 90's (i have no AC so my fish room is ambient temps in the summer)

Real Name
    Mervin

The water needs to go up and down a degree or two so the heater will come on and go off.300 watts is a bit much for a small tank.30 gal will fluctuate more so than 90 gal water will fluctuate due to volume.

Registered Member

Thanks for all the advice..As I understand a 1 to 2 degree fucuation in temp is normal in a 26g tank. I was going to put them in my more stable 90g tank until the 29g got more stable and guess what happened??

The started laying eggs. So I am leaving them alone. I'm leaving there tank light on and will leave them complety along till Wednesday. Wednesday I will get the dust off my 10g and give it time to stabilize.

Real Name
    Willie

If they laid eggs, I'd do absolutely nothing. It doesn't get any better than that, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

No kidding and they have a great track record with previous owner..

Registered Member

Thank you Pat. I now have eggs it both tanks. I am now rolling with the 1.5 or so degrees fluctuating. Problem now is the male has bad tail rot. Big chunk is gone. Is it ok to add salt or will that hurt the future fry. Thanks

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Lewjo11 View Post
    Thank you Pat. I now have eggs it both tanks. I am now rolling with the 1.5 or so degrees fluctuating. Problem now is the male has bad tail rot. Big chunk is gone. Is it ok to add salt or will that hurt the future fry. Thanks
    Can you post a pic of the male with the tail issue Lewjo11?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening