ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Help with ideas for improving my water storage tank

Question Help with ideas for improving my water storage tank

I like to age my water after it comes out of the tank. I found I get a lot less small bubbles, can easier control the temperature, and I've noticed it slightly lowers my PH if it sits for a couple days.

My current setup is my 125 gallon is my aquarium. Nothing is really in it right now. But I've preferred to keep 7-9 discus in it at a time.

My storage tank has been a 55 gallon aquarium under the stand. I put tap water in there, let it sit for a couple days or so, and use it for my water change. I have an aeration jet in there and a heater.

The downside so far has been access to the 55. Once it's in my stand I cannot get to it without removing the 125 from the top. The clearance from the bottom of the 125 to the top of the 55 is enough to work with, but not really much to be able to clean it. It stays very clean, but it does get some buildup.

Basically though, I'm looking to get some external storage. My wife is vetoing the idea of a 55 gallon plastic drum for aesthetic reasons, but perhaps there are some options I haven't thought of, and i am looking for suggestions from this group.

I have considered a large drum in the garage, but garage to aquarium is about 35-45 feet and snaking around doors. Shutting water on and off from that distance would be a pain.

Maybe the aging is pointless, but I have had success with it and like it.

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Help with ideas for improving my water storage tank

I use the bottom tanks for storage as well. Tap goes straight in, aerated and warmed overnight for use the next day. I don't use dechlor in storage, only in the tank with fish. When I do that, there's no buildup in the storage tank.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

A lot of us use something like this https://www.amazon.com/Woods-32555WD...78094210&psc=1 with a length of tubing or water hose.

Real Name
    Zac

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    A lot of us use something like this https://www.amazon.com/Woods-32555WD...78094210&psc=1 with a length of tubing or water hose.
    That's a good idea. I currently use an extension cord with a power stripe near the tank to turn my pump on and off. Gets the job done, but this looks pretty handy.

And that's why I come to you guys. That is very nifty.

I don't use dechorinator either. I'm pretty sure this is hardness from the water. I haven't let it bother me. It doesn't seem to affect the end result. But its still kind of unsightly after a few years worth.