ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: I am Back!.... 15 years later!!

Real Name
    Eihab

Wink I am Back!.... 15 years later!!

Hi Guys,

Well the Bug has hit home again! I was a member with you since 2003... I was a newbie and bought my first discus ever while being member here and moved up to successfully breed them!
    Sadly because of commitments and back then final year Uni I had to let everything go... and that was 15 years ago

I am now looking to start again, got one of my old tanks out, still have almost every thing I need minus the RO system I used to own. I am brushing up my knowledge again to get my first discus tank set up again.

I am not sure if the same peeps are still around, I remember Carol and Brewmaster who helped me alot back then, so guys get ready for lots of newbie questions hahaha

Eihab

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Default Re: I am Back!.... 15 years later!!

Welcome back, better late than never!
    Tell us a bit more about your plans

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Eihab and welcome back to Simply. You were before my time but happy to meet you. So please, settle in and do tell us about your plans for your tank and discus. Al (brewmaster15) is still here and runs the joint. If I recall correctly Carol moved to other things. You will find some old members are still active, some have returned like yourself so hopefully you will see some old members.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Eihab

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    Welcome back, better late than never!
    Tell us a bit more about your plans
    Hi Paul, Thank you...
    First thing I will have to set up the tank and have a well cycled and Discus friendly environment. Given the tank will be a show tank with no breeding in mind I will consider plantation and minor decoration.
    The problem here in London where I live the Tab water is hard with Ph over 8; I will have to test it. Some people are saying local breeders fish tolerate tab water, back in the day we could only manage with an RO system.

Once the environment is ready I will get 4-6 young adults; some cool looking strains, Blue diamond on top of the list as it was soooo expensive back when I was doing it.

I might get a couple L number plecos, still not decided though as they are pricey, might as well get more discus lol
    Eihab

Real Name
    Eihab

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Eihab and welcome back to Simply. You were before my time but happy to meet you. So please, settle in and do tell us about your plans for your tank and discus. Al (brewmaster15) is still here and runs the joint. If I recall correctly Carol moved to other things. You will find some old members are still active, some have returned like yourself so hopefully you will see some old members.
    Pat
    Thanks Pat, I am so excited just to be back and posting... I have so much to catch up on and get up on speed. Carol had some amazing fish. Will see who from the old faces still around.

Hello Eihab, and welcome back. I'm looking forward to seeing your tank but careful about the fancy plecos. You may end up liking them more than your discus!

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

As you are not planning on breeding pH should not be an issue. Either Devotedly Discus nr Eastbourne (sells top quality Stendker) or Francis Hu (Chen's discus, sells fish mostly from Daniel Indarata, but also SG and wilds from Hugo Quaresma) nr Cambridge are stellar quality retailers. I would go with their advice as to if you need to address any issues with Thames Water.

Real Name
    Eihab

Hahaha so true Adam I used to have zebras and golden nuggets.. I see your profile is a zebra, have you ever bred them?

Real Name
    Eihab

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    As you are not planning on breeding pH should not be an issue. Either Devotedly Discus nr Eastbourne (sells top quality Stendker) or Francis Hu (Chen's discus, sells fish mostly from Daniel Indarata, but also SG and wilds from Hugo Quaresma) nr Cambridge are stellar quality retailers. I would go with their advice as to if you need to address any issues with Thames Water.
    This is really helpful Paul I used to buy from Decidedly Discus back in the day and their prices are reasonable .. I will reach out to them on water advice and buy after all is set

Quote Originally Posted by EIHAB View Post
    Hahaha so true Adam I used to have zebras and golden nuggets.. I see your profile is a zebra, have you ever bred them?
    Yes, they aren't allowed to be free loaders at the prices they demand nowadays lol.

Quote Originally Posted by EIHAB View Post
    Hi Guys,

Well the Bug has hit home again! I was a member with you since 2003... I was a newbie and bought my first discus ever while being member here and moved up to successfully breed them!
    Sadly because of commitments and back then final year Uni I had to let everything go... and that was 15 years ago

I am now looking to start again, got one of my old tanks out, still have almost every thing I need minus the RO system I used to own. I am brushing up my knowledge again to get my first discus tank set up again.

I am not sure if the same peeps are still around, I remember Carol and Brewmaster who helped me alot back then, so guys get ready for lots of newbie questions hahaha

Eihab
    Welcome back! Eihab!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can vouch for the fact that Brewmaster is still here Glad you found your way back.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Eihab

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Welcome back! Eihab!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can vouch for the fact that Brewmaster is still here Glad you found your way back.

al
    The legend is still here, been a life a time! Al the bug never dies and here I am again. Just the idea of getting back into it gives me so much joy, imagine if I have never left and expanded back then, but life happens

Real Name
    Brian

Welcome back!! I was away myself for 10 years but never completely gone

Real Name
    Filip

HI and welcome back on Simply discus Eihab . We are looking forward to see your future discus projects .