AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discus won' eat

Real Name
    Zac

Default Discus won' eat

I am starting to worry about my leopard discus. I haven't really seen him eat for a little while now. Maybe 3-4 days. He never really ate that well before that either.

I have had the discus for 2.5 weeks now. He has always been really shy. But will go out swimming in the open and with the group often. But whenever I feed the discus, we will go off and into the corner. Never coming out to eat. It isn't because he is scared of me. He usually goes once the other start attacking the food.

He is the smallest of the group(he is maybe 2.5 inches), got 8 of em 3+ inches. Others are growing nicely, he has stayed about the same. He never really gets picked on. They are establishing a pecking order a little, but I never notice them going at the leopard.

Is this something to worry about? Give it more time? I have a german wonder that kind of acts the same, but i do see him eat here and there. And he seems to be growing.

Attached are some pics. Wondering how he looks to others.

9.jpg
    11.jpg
    10.jpg

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Discus won' eat

Hi Zac, it does look like it is falling behind. Perhaps try raising your temperature to encourage it's appetite. Have you seen it's poop?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Zac

I haven't seen it poop. But I can see everyone poop on the bottom of the tank. All looks the same.

I had the temp at 84-85. This morning I upped it to 88 and added an air stone. Will see if that helps.

Glad he is looking ok. I must have watched him for 30 mins last night. Convincing myself anything and everything was wrong. But probably just acting like a young discus in a new environment. Just a first time discus owner i guess, still learning things.

Thanks

Zac,

He is the smallest of the group(he is maybe 2.5 inches), got 8 of em 3+ inches. Others are growing nicely, he has stayed about the same. He never really gets picked on. They are establishing a pecking order a little, but I never notice them going at the leopard.
    They don't have to actually attack him to intimidate and stress him. The dominate fish have a way of doing that with posture and behavior alone. Unfortunately it sounds like your little guys is probably the low man on the totem poll. Typically they have a rough time. You can try separating him a hospital tank to get him eating.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Zac

Well lost my blue turq this morning. Leopard is doing better, swimming out and about way more. But only eating blood worms, don't see him eating anything else. Also I think my snakeskin has stopped eating, but is always out swimming. German Wonder is back swimming and eating normal. Blue Turq stopped eating a week ago and hid in the corners a lot. I did notice white stringy poop for 2 of them(leopard and marborol). Started treating with metro last Tue. Don't have pics right now, but I am now worried about my leopard(acting and swimming normal, but only eats bloodworms, I feed once a day) and my Snakeskin(acting and swimming normal, stopped eating for about a day). With metro I has treating with Metroplex(575mg, * 70% = 400mg metro) every other day with a water change every other day.

Any thoughts?

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
    See above. Started a few weeks ago with leopard. Stopped eating, hiding in corners.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
    White string poop

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    Metro, still currently dosing. Started Tue, every other day

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    75 gallons, 8 x 3.5"

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    50% every other day

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    2 Months, Bare bottom

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    Yes, 24 hrs. PH swing is minimal

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp ___86_bumped up to 90 this last week_

- ph __7.6-7.8___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __usually around 10-20 before water change_5-10 after_hard to tell with API, but never more than 20

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water __100__

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    No

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    Feed 4 times a day. Usually flakes and pellets in the morning. FDBW, Then Flakes, then FDBW and Bloodworms in the evening.
    Only started feeding bloodworms a week ago, trying to get leopard to eat.(only thing he does eat)

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    Can add later

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    Metro, still currently dosing. Started Tue, every other day
    How much and what kind of Metro? Is there a reason you are dosing every other day?

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Zac

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    How much and what kind of Metro? Is there a reason you are dosing every other day?

al
    Seachem MetroPlex. Directions said to do it every other day. Directions said to do 1 scoop per 10 gallons, but I through I read somewhere discus need more. So I did about 5 scoops per 10 gallons. 125 mg per scoop, 70% of metroplex is metro. So 87.5 mg metro * 5 scoops * 7(for 75 gallon tank, 65 of it water/10) = 437.5 mg of metro per 10 gallons.

Hopefully that math works out.

Real Name
    Zac

I should add, my blue turq that passed away overnight. His colors looked pretty normal, but his belly area was a bit pale.

Zac,
    There are alot of different recommendations on using Metro...some are better than others, IMO. Your dose of 500 mgs per 10 gal is what we normally do for discus. But I have found that the best way to dose is daily after a very large water change. I find its more effective that dosing every other day for Discus in the treatment of protozoans.

hth,
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Zac

Thanks. I will start doing daily water changes with dosing of Metro.

Am I correct to be dosing metro based on symptoms? Couple have had White String Poop, some not eating, some hiding a lot?

Yes, Zac. You are doing the right thing.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Zac

Thanks Liz.

Also dose daily for amount of water changed volume or entire tank volume?

Quote Originally Posted by gotwins86 View Post
    Thanks Liz.

Also dose daily for amount of water changed volume or entire tank volume?
    redose the entire amount daily. I suggest doing 90%+ percent wc daily while treating.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Zac

Thanks for answering all my questions. 1 more... haha

my aging barrel holds about 40 gallons. Would a water change of 40 gallons aged and about 20 gallons out of the tap be ok?

I know my ph swing is pretty minimal. I have always measured 7.6-7.8 in both tank and out of tap.

Quote Originally Posted by gotwins86 View Post
    Thanks for answering all my questions. 1 more... haha

my aging barrel holds about 40 gallons. Would a water change of 40 gallons aged and about 20 gallons out of the tap be ok?

I know my ph swing is pretty minimal. I have always measured 7.6-7.8 in both tank and out of tap.

I think you will be okay. If they get stressed do your 40 gals... Then fill up the storage barrel and fill the 20 gals from the storage barrel after filling it. That extra step will off gas alot of gas from the water.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast