AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Default I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
    Started two days ago, one of my Marlboros gets really pale. the red all of a sudden becomes really pink despite my dark wall (background).

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Nothing other than turning pink. One of my heavy eaters and fastest growing fry.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Salt only. 1 tbl per 10 gallons. He only goes pale mid afternoon. although, now he is normal

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

30 gallon breeder. over a year old. has 6 discus ranging from 2"-3"

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

twice daily. 90% in the morning, and 90% late afternoons.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    a little over a year now - Bare Bottom.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    Yes, In a 55 gallon drum.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

Tap water - 100%

- temp __86___

- ph __7.3-7.5___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    No

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

Hikari dried black worms - once in the morning
    tetra bites discus pellets + d150 pellets in auto feeder- 4 times a day while at work.
    Beef heart flakes - evenings

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

I will upload now with cell phone shortly.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Default Re: I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

Pink.jpgred.jpg

Him normal, and then pink. I just realized I posted in the wrong section. Can a mod please move the thread?

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

comp.jpg

This one is so you can compare with the other Marlboro in the picture. For some reason it looks less pink on the PC, but in person and cell phone, he's really pale.

I see it but I have no clue. I wouldn't start worrying after just 2 days as long as it's eating well. Sometimes you just meed to keep watching the fish.
    Your red SS cross is stunning for it's age.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I see it but I have no clue. I wouldn't start worrying after just 2 days as long as it's eating well. Sometimes you just meed to keep watching the fish.
    Your red SS cross is stunning for it's age.
    I figured it’s nothing to worry about, but didn’t want to risk it on this batch. They are growing nicely.
    I feed them almost 7 times a day, and still, they come up to me like they’ve not eaten in three days.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Sometimes suppliers uses food with color enhancers to make the fishes color pop...if you stop feeding color enhancing foods the colors fade, especially in juvenile fish...pecking order often affects colors as well...

Mando,
    Question here.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

twice daily. 90% in the morning, and 90% late afternoons.
    Do you do this religiously? If you are doing water changes like this regularly you won't have much of a biofilter. Then if you slack off or get busy and fail to do them as much or as often your tank will go into minicycles and that can actually happen pretty quick. Ammonia and Nitrate spikes can cause some fish to loose some color. The fact you mentioned it happens in the afternoon, raises a flag as thats when I would expect a spike after morning water changes, especially since this is only a 30 gal tank with 6 each 3" fish.

Thats about the only thing I can think of here.. I would suggest monitoring your ammonia and Nitrite just incase.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Mando,
    Question here.

Do you do this religiously? If you are doing water changes like this regularly you won't have much of a biofilter. Then if you slack off or get busy and fail to do them as much or as often your tank will go into minicycles and that can actually happen pretty quick. Ammonia and Nitrate spikes can cause some fish to loose some color. The fact you mentioned it happens in the afternoon, raises a flag as thats when I would expect a spike after morning water changes, especially since this is only a 30 gal tank with 6 each 3" fish.

Thats about the only thing I can think of here.. I would suggest monitoring your ammonia and Nitrite just incase.

hth,
    al
    Good observation! Will do so. When do you suggest going into a bigger tank? Also, I have the main tank divided in two since the males were fighting. Maybe I can swap them? However, I believe this week only marks the 3rd week with them. I wanted a 6 week qt.

I keep the bottom of the tank super clean. I will check Ammonia first thing when I get home from work. If that’s the case, I’ll either lessen the water changes or reduce the feedings.

Even with two aged sponges, I can see mini cycles? I have yet to miss a water change. It’s been religiously; every morning, and every afternoon before classes.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

I forgot to mention, last time he lightened after a water change. He still eats like a beast despite the lighter color and he is catching up to what was sold to me as an alanquer in size.

It doesn't matter how aged the filters were, with huge water changes theres little food for the bacteria so they die back to a point where theres enough food. I'm not saying this has happened in your tank just that its a possibility in your situation. The tank is ok for Qt with Good water changes just stay on them as you are. Definitely don't cut the QT short.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

It doesn't matter how aged the filters were, with huge water changes theres little food for the bacteria so they die back to a point where theres enough food. I'm not saying this has happened in your tank just that its a possibility in your situation. The tank is ok for Qt with Good water changes just stay on them as you are. Definitely don't cut the QT short.

al
    I feel like I need to be paying for your advice! Thank for all that you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    Good observation! Will do so. When do you suggest going into a bigger tank? Also, I have the main tank divided in two since the males were fighting. Maybe I can swap them? However, I believe this week only marks the 3rd week with them. I wanted a 6 week qt.

I keep the bottom of the tank super clean. I will check Ammonia first thing when I get home from work. If that’s the case, I’ll either lessen the water changes or reduce the feedings.

Even with two aged sponges, I can see mini cycles? I have yet to miss a water change. It’s been religiously; every morning, and every afternoon before classes.
    All the more reason for a drip system. . . :-D

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by slicksta View Post
    All the more reason for a drip system. . . :-D
    Haha! I saw your DM and forgot to reply!

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Mando,
    Question here.

hth,
    al
    As you suspected Al, the ammonia was slightly elevated. I’ll reduce the feedings while at work from 3 to 2. Nitrite was at 0. This clearly tells me that I cannot slack on the water changes. The fish that is normally pale was nicely colored when I got home.

Al is a Discus genius.
    Mama Bear

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast