AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    I feel like I need to be paying for your advice! Thank for all that you do.
    Mando, you can make a donation to the forum or buy a premium membership. This is what helps to keep this place alive.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Mando, you can make a donation to the forum or buy a premium membership. This is what helps to keep this place alive.
    Pat
    You're absolutely right! @Al Can you do a subscription style donation?

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Al is a Discus genius.
    Indeed!

Although, slightly elevated yesterday, I'm thinking that ammonia isn't the issue. This morning he was a bit pink again so I checked the ammonia and it was 0. Regardless, I did the water change and reduced the feedings. Hopefully, this is just me being paranoid. He's grown the most and the first one to greet me at the front of the tank for food.

So in the meantime, I'll do as you suggested, Liz, and just let things go like normal with the added visual care.
    Last edited by Mando; 11-15-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Sometimes suppliers uses food with color enhancers to make the fishes color pop...if you stop feeding color enhancing foods the colors fade, especially in juvenile fish...pecking order often affects colors as well...
    They are eating the tetra color bits, I would expect darker colors. My orange discus is literally red because of this food. But, I knida love him red.

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post

Indeed!

Although, slightly elevated yesterday, I'm thinking that ammonia isn't the issue. This morning he was a bit pink again so I checked the ammonia and it was 0. Regardless, I did the water change and reduced the feedings. Hopefully, this is just me being paranoid. He's grown the most and the first one to greet me at the front of the tank for food.

So in the meantime, I'll do as you suggested, Liz, and just let things go like normal with the added visual care.

Hi Mando,
    If you are experiencing elevated ammonia its likely there is also or has been Nitrite spikes. Nitrites are a short term cumulative... meaning it takes the fish 24-48 hours roughly to remove the nitrites... small nitrite spikes can accumulate nitrites in the fish if the Nitrite production in the tank exceeds the clearance in the fish. I know you did test it yesterday and saw nothing for nitrites.. But I would watch that level and test it periodically over the next few days, just incase.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi Mando,
    If you are experiencing elevated ammonia its likely there is also or has been Nitrite spikes. Nitrites are a short term cumulative... meaning it takes the fish 24-48 hours roughly to remove the nitrites... small nitrite spikes can accumulate nitrites in the fish if the Nitrite production in the tank exceeds the clearance in the fish. I know you did test it yesterday and saw nothing for nitrites.. But I would watch that level and test it periodically over the next few days, just incase.

hth,
    al
    Definitely, My routine from now on will be to test the waters in the mornings and afternoons. It may be time for a bigger tank if I can't control it.

By the way....

since you asked... Yes. and these are always appreciated!

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?104050

or just a simple one here....

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/misc.php?do=donate
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Hey, Liz and Al.

Hope you had a lovely thanksgiving. I’ve noticed a sudden issue with ammonia and today I decided to test my reserve and tap water (inside and outside). The readings came back 1.0 ppm of ammonia. How is that possible? I was going to call my local water and sewera department and see if they had any changes. The maintank clears the ammonia almost instantly. But my fry tank doesn’t. It takes a few days to clear.

Are you using prime of safe? I don't understand about chloramines (I don't even know if I spelled it right) because my water just has chlorine. Someone will else will have to 'splain it to you, but I think that if you use prime or safe you may still get an ammonia reading but those products change it into another form that is not toxic. Don't take this as fact. I may have it all wrong.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

I read that chloramines doesn’t remove ammonia. I have to see of my local water and sewage changed from chlorine to chloramines. This started recently and the only reason I noticed is because of my fry growout. The fish started turning a pale pink.

And,yes, I always use prime even if it’s aged water.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Should I lower water changes to 50% daily and just double dose prime? Maybe add prime to my aging barrel? I’m beside myself as to why my tap water changed.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

Just my 2 cents about water, testing and "Safe";

1. Get the report of your local water ASAP. There is a real-time updated on their official website in some area.
    2. Make sure test kit is not old.
    3. Test the aged water "before" putting "Safe" in.
    4. Make sure to dose "Safe" correctly.

https://www.seachem.com/support/foru...ct-safe-dosage

^Quite a read there, but very informative (as well as a bit confusing...)

Good luck.
    Water change is not just a chore, it's my life now...

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by snxtif View Post
    Just my 2 cents about water, testing and "Safe";

1. Get the report of your local water ASAP. There is a real-time updated on their official website in some area.
    2. Make sure test kit is not old.
    3. Test the aged water "before" putting "Safe" in.
    4. Make sure to dose "Safe" correctly.

https://www.seachem.com/support/foru...ct-safe-dosage

^Quite a read there, but very informative (as well as a bit confusing...)

Good luck.
    The aged water in my 55g barrel after 24 hrs matches the fresh tap at 1ppm of ammonia. Test kit expires in two years and I tested the main tank with the same kit 5 mins apart and it had 0 ammonia.

I’ll try to get the report now and follow up.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Update, my city water uses chlorine. Not sure why I have ammonia from tap. So here is the plan. Tomorrow I will go out and buy a small hob filter, and I’m thinking of removing some media from my maintank’s sump and adding it to the new filter. I will only do 50-75% water changes twice a day going forward rather than 100% twice a day.

Food for thought; how did my tank lose its cycle if I have 1ppm of ammonia from tap/aged barrel.

Mando, it has to do with how much waste there is and how much bacteria.. 1 ppm ammonia is not alot.. not enough to feed a colony of bacteria large enough to deal with your tanks biological processes..So when ammonia production increases theres not enough bacteria to consume it quickly... then the same thing repeats with nitrites.

hth,
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Mando, it has to do with how much waste there is and how much bacteria.. 1 ppm ammonia is not alot.. not enough to feed a colony of bacteria large enough to deal with your tanks biological processes..So when ammonia production increases theres not enough bacteria to consume it quickly... then the same thing repeats with nitrites.

hth,
    Al
    I see. I guess to get a hold of this quickly and not stunt my fish, I will buy a small filter. I have plenty of media in my sump to get a new filter going. Shouldn't be too much trouble.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast