ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Need Advice: Cyst Under Discus Chin

Real Name
    Jody M.

Default Need Advice: Cyst Under Discus Chin

Hi All,

Thank you for taking a look at my post - curious to know if anyone has seen a cyst such as this before, if it is cause for concern, and what the treatment options are.

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
    Two days ago I noticed a bump under one of my Blue Diamond's chins.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
    Non-symptomatic, still eating and swimming healthily, no additional notes regarding symptoms.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    None

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    Tank is 3 months old, I have 75 gallons of volume, 40 gallon tank with a 40 gallon sump. I have 5 discus all around 3.5-4 inches and 4 cory catfish around 1.5-2.5 inches.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    50% total volume water change every 2 days or as required when nitrates reach 20ppm.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    3 months, bare bottom. I clean the poop as needed and clean the polishers and 200 micro filter socks 3-4 times per week.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    No I do not - I have not noticed a significant PH wing. I do use prime and a 1200gph pump to remove chemicals in the water.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 83.5 degrees

- ph 7.4

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading 10ppm

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water 0%

- municipal water 100%

- RO water 0%

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    No

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    I feed 4 times per day - Al's blackworms in the morning and evening around 3/4 flattened cube. 2 times from a feeder with TetraColor Tropical Granules.

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Fish cyst.jpg
    No you don't throw them...

Jody-

Real Name
    Jody M.

Default Re: Need Advice: Cyst Under Discus Chin

It seems to be getting better on its own - curious to know if anyone else out there has experienced something similar.

Jody-

Jody its hard to see the details on it but its likely just a small localized infection if it is getting better on its own.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Jody M.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Jody its hard to see the details on it but its likely just a small localized infection if it is getting better on its own.

hth,
    al
    Thanks Al, today it is almost 100% better.

Jody-