AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Royal Ruby Red(Golden Based) x Red Turquoise Pairing........good or not???

Registered Member

Default Royal Ruby Red(Golden Based) x Red Turquoise Pairing........good or not???

I have a weird pairing in my discus tank.....

My Royal Ruby Red (3R) Golden Based x Spotted Red Turquoise has paired up and I'm wondering if this is an acceptable pairing? Both discus came from Forrest through Kenny Cheung. I let them pair up because I was trying to see if my water parameters were okay for breeding. I have a pair of 3R's (male and female) that keep laying eggs in another tank and they keep turning white. Didn't know if the eggs going bad was a case of water or infertility on male's part so far.

Pics of this pairing are below......[ATTACH]119622
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Default Re: Royal Ruby Red(Golden Based) x Red Turquoise Pairing........good or not???

I removed them from my community tank where they were hanging around together to their own breeder tank a few days ago. Well........within 2 to 3 hours they laid eggs for the first time. They probably laid 200 eggs, but she laid them all over the cone.......I guess from inexperience. This morning when I checked on them it looks like about 20 to 30 of the eggs have darkened up and I already have two wigglers on the cone.

I haveN’T heard any comments on what the pairing should produce.......I’m hoping some of the very knowledgeable discus people on here will give me some idea. I read this site everyday and I’m always impressed with the knowledge that is contained in this forum.

I’m going to let them see if they if they will raise them the first time anyway. My first goal has already been complete I think. I have another female that is identical to 3R that is pictured. She is paired with a 3R Intermediate (mostly brown with reddish highlights) and they lay all the time. They have probably laid 5 to 6 times at least. They lay a ton of eggs and they end up always turning white. My breeding water is low 6 in pH and usually 50 to 70 ppm TDS. I was starting to question my water or the males fertility. So when this pair (3R x Red Turquoise) paired I wanted to give them a try to at least confirm I’m doing something right with the water. Now I’m seeing eggs hatch......I think the male is not getting those eggs fertilized (maybe because he is too young) or maybe infertile.

Anyway.......give me some feedback on what you all are thinking!!

Default Re: Royal Ruby Red(Golden Based) x Red Turquoise Pairing........good or not???

Hi, I am guessing the lack of replies is because its not a typical cross and few could even guess what it will make. I will start by saying they are gorgeous fish.

Typically if you cross a striated fish to a solid you get mostly striated fish. The Royal Ruby Red being golden based should be a safe cross that doesn't give you peppered offspring unless there are some peppered genes still in it. Golden was used to breed out the pepper in PBs but you never know what will express itself since you are crossing to a non Pb , non golden line. Even with goldens you can get some fry that look like they have "smut" on them, an almost light colored charcoal dusting or shadow look. This can fade in time.

If had similar stock of each I would breed each to their own since they are so nice, but I am not a purist. Crossing discus is the best way to learn what makes what in a case when its not been done before or commonly so. I would do the cross, and see what it gives. Report back please so we can all learn more.

Good Luck!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Al......thanks for the response. I was thinking this should be a safe cross with the 3R being Golden based and not having to worry about the peppering. I was hoping for maybe some striated discus maybe with a deeper red coloring to them. I was just surprised to realize that the 20 to 30 wigglers I thought I actually had........is 50+. Also.....looks like I have two real good parents on their first attempt at it.......they are not even a little bit aggressive with one another. Will keep everyone posted on the cross!!

Excellent! look forward to watching the outcome grow out!
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Registered Member

Registered Member

Last edited by onthetee; 11-21-2018 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Parents with the fry......day #2 free swimming!!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

That is a mighty fine looking sight Congrats with this pair
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

They look amazing. Nice pics

Registered Member

9BF2B469-C47D-4A88-BA4D-4144D843A66D.jpg
    7FE0195E-EA30-4880-A465-EDB825812B61.jpg

The parents and the fry are doing great. The fry are growing quite a bit and look to be very clean. I haven’t lost any fry from this group. There are 60+ of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by onthetee; 11-29-2018 at 10:07 PM.

Registered Member

Fry growing pretty quickly......almost 3 weeks old. Starting to see stress bars appearing on some of them which would make them probably Red Turquoise. Others are very clean with no markings yet....hopefully they will look like the 3R female.

20181206_075400.jpg
    Last edited by onthetee; 12-07-2018 at 01:30 AM.

Registered Member

Congratulations! They look awesome!

Real Name
    Patty

Wow! I’ll be watching this one. Congratulations!
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Patty

I’m told that if you crop your pics a little they won’t be sideways.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast