ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My pets

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Default My pets

So, I've decided to share a little bit of my love for pets.

First, I'll introduce my afghan hounds. Zoleil (fem / pink bandana) and Zeus (male). Zues was being potty trained at this stage. We purchased Zoleil from Washington and had her flown to Miami. NEVER, EVER, will I do that to another animal. When I got to the airport, all you hear was her barking and a protruding, loud cry that would put you to tears. Zues on the other hand, I drove 12 hrs to Alabama, and brought him home. spent the night in a dog friendly hotel, and another 12 hr drive home. Some will say, "24 hour drive for a dog? you're insane." But, it's an unexplainable feeling. I really can't tell you why I did it.

Soleil and zeus.jpg

This was the road trip on the way back after picking up Zeus.

Zeus drive.jpg

Zoleil being a diva (below).. These dogs are very independent mentality and refuse to listen/obey. However, they are both potty trained, she sits, stays (release word is break), lays, and obeys inside the house. Zeus is potty trained, however, only sits. Now, do they obey outside? year right. these are sight hounds. A shadow, bird, butterfly, anything in the distance, and these dogs are gone.. the speed of a bullet.

Soleil being a diva.jpg

Zeus sleeping. (see his trend?) he does this til today; never seen him sleep any other way.
    Zeus sleeping 2.jpg

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Default Re: My pets

Very cute, I have/had most kinds of dogs but never a sighthound. When we return to the UK might adopt from Greyhound Gap

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

I cannot find older pics of zeus, my phone had a crash, and I lost all my photos.

In addition to my fish and dogs, I have the following.

3 green/yellow macaws
    1 yellow amazon parrot
    1 red winged parrot
    14 cockatiel
    8 love birds
    Unfortunately, the aviary "magically" had a hole, and I lost 6 quakers and 4 African ring necks.

The birds all have their own species specific aviary, 12' tall and 8 ft' wide. The smaller birds have slightly smaller aviaries, 8' tall and 6ft wide.
    Some will say it's cruel, but half of these are rescued animals. Granted.. I paid for them, however, they were either injured, neglected, or ready to kick the bucket.

In addition, I have:

34 chickens for their eggs (cage free for a year, but we now have a fox in the neighborhood)
    3 pheasents
    6 quails

all in a 12' tall about 40' long cage.

I also have
    1 female peacock
    3 male peacocks

All hand raised and brought to our home as chicks; super tame and they allow you to pet them. The mom was hit by a car in Homestead, FL.

The peacocks are now loose around the neighbor hood, but come home everything to perch on my roof. See one of the peacocks below. This is Cavalli (Roberto Cavalli) - male.

cavalli.jpgCavali.jpg
    Last edited by Mando; 11-15-2018 at 03:00 PM.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    Very cute, I have/had most kinds of dogs but never a sighthound. When we return to the UK might adopt from Greyhound Gap
    I love greyhounds too. They are cousins to Afghans.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

The pool deck/peacock photo, you can see a huge green house in the far back end of my property. The plan here is to gate the greenhouse all around, and add a double entry gate. I want to eventually release all the birds here so they can stretch their wings. I will do a nice walk through tropical oasis ending in another double gate that leads to a larger pond. keeping the tropical theme. I will house my kois in this pond. I'll keep the smaller pond out front for cichlids only.

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    I cannot find older pics of zeus, my phone had a crash, and I lost all my photos.

In addition to my fish and dogs, I have the following.

3 green/yellow macaws
    1 yellow amazon parrot
    1 red winged parrot
    14 cockatiel
    8 love birds
    Unfortunately, the aviary "magically" had a hole, and I lost 6 quakers and 4 African ring necks.

The birds all have their own species specific aviary, 12' tall and 8 ft' wide. The smaller birds have slightly smaller aviaries, 8' tall and 6ft wide.
    Some will say it's cruel, but half of these are rescued animals. Granted.. I paid for them, however, they were either injured, neglected, or ready to kick the bucket.

In addition, I have:

34 chickens for their eggs (cage free for a year, but we now have a fox in the neighborhood)
    3 pheasents
    6 quails

all in a 12' tall about 40' long cage.

I also have
    1 female peacock
    3 male peacocks

All hand raised and brought to our home as chicks; super tame and they allow you to pet them. The mom was hit by a car in Homestead, FL.

The peacocks are now loose around the neighbor hood, but come home everything to perch on my roof. See one of the peacocks below. This is Cavalli (Roberto Cavalli) - male.

cavalli.jpgCavali.jpg

Very cool. That is something I have considered getting ...Its a toss up though between peacocks or Golden Pheasants. Choices choices

pheasant1.jpg
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Very cool. That is something I have considered getting ...Its a toss up though between peacocks or Golden Pheasants. Choices choices

pheasant1.jpg
    Golden Pheasants by far! so beautiful. Mine is a Silver pheasant. I have a pair. So far hatched 3 chicks but they did not make it . I will have to hand raise the next time they decide to hatch another set.

Did you do that beautiful grooming on Zoleil yourself or do you take her to a groomer. I have groomed Afghans before. They are extremely high maintenance if you want them in show coat.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Nope! that's $70 dollars later. lol. I have such a busy schedule that I have to send them off for grooming. I just cuddle with them.

I wake up feed dogs/aquarium/pond/birds, then work, haul butt home, same routine as morning, go to school, come home, enjoy my tanks, and bed! this is in a nutshell.

unfortunately, that was her puppy coat which she lost on her first heat cycle. I'm still being wishful it grows back. Now, zeus, that's a different story. He's a massive hairball.

It'll will grow back. I just hope for your sake that change doesn't cause matting like it does with some Non Sporting breeds.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

little update. Soleil got her necklace gift and Zues seemed bummbed out because he didn’t get anything. ��15810FCE-53B9-4534-800E-8CB86FE9403C.jpg
    D85C2EE5-0639-4C27-8DD4-CCDCDC94A6AC.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    harry g

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post

pheasant1.jpg
    Al ck out reeves pheasants. They grow a looong tail & are very pretty. I breed them yrs ago & they are eaiser than discus

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    little update. Soleil got her necklace gift and Zues seemed bummbed out because he didn’t get anything. ��15810FCE-53B9-4534-800E-8CB86FE9403C.jpg
    D85C2EE5-0639-4C27-8DD4-CCDCDC94A6AC.jpg
    If there is any dog more elegant than an Afghan, I can't think what breed it might be. As if she isn't stuffing enough without, she is head turning stunning in her new necklaces.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bella Clarise

Aside from the Koi in my tank I also have Copper the Pomeranian.
    He is currently undergoing an
    electric pet fence training to ensure that he knows his boundary. I want to ensure that he can play outside and at the same time won't roam around the neighborhood and get lost.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Bill G.

Mando........nice dogs. I’m a Collie man myself, but love yours. Btw......I’d surely drive 24 hours, or more, for a dog. To me, the dog is better than many humans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast