AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Setting up a new tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Callan

Red face Setting up a new tank

Hi everyone,

I’m new to this forum but not new to the hobby. Relatively new to keeping discus though! I keep reading all the information in the ‘sticky’ section that I can and it’s really helpful which is great! I’m sure I’ll have many questions throughout my set up and also my keeping which I’m super excited about. My question today is will a Fluval FX4 filter be too much for a 200l tank even on the lowest setting? I love the filter and love the water change capability and the gravel vac also, I’m hoping it will be fine. Does anyone have any experience with these?
    I look forward to your replies!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Re: Setting up a new tank

Hi Callan.
    Welcome to Simply Discus. Take a good look around as there is lots of good information which will help you get going on your first discus tank. I also run a canister filter in my tank but its an Ehiem, and i also love the simplicity with it. Ive adjusted my outlet bar so it creates turbulence on the surface and not too much current in the tank. I suggest you put alot of thought in how your going to set your tank up as far as gravel etc. it really plays a big part on how your discus grow especially if you're thinking of starting with smaller fish.

Feel free to ask questions as there are lots of good people on here that will help.

Good luck
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Callan

Hi Joe,
    Thanks for the reply! I was thinking of adjusting the output against the glass maybe if it was too strong but your suggestion sounds really good. That is something I have been thinking about also, I am going to lay a thin layer of gravel or sand substrate and doctorate with bog wood and lightly plant it. I like the idea of growing out younger fish but have read on this forum that that can come with its own problems so I will buy discus around 5 inch. I’m sure I will have plenty of questions along the way so knowing about this forum and seeing how friendly and helpful everyone is is very comforting!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Guigs141 View Post
    Hi Joe,
    Thanks for the reply! I was thinking of adjusting the output against the glass maybe if it was too strong but your suggestion sounds really good. That is something I have been thinking about also, I am going to lay a thin layer of gravel or sand substrate and doctorate with bog wood and lightly plant it. I like the idea of growing out younger fish but have read on this forum that that can come with its own problems so I will buy discus around 5 inch. I’m sure I will have plenty of questions along the way so knowing about this forum and seeing how friendly and helpful everyone is is very comforting!
    You're very welcomed Callan.
    My choice would be a very fine layer of sand. The bog wood is also a good piece to decorate with providing it hasn't any sharp edges that can harm the fish when they spook...and they will. You can always plant your greenery in little pots. Five inch discus sounds like a good idea for a 200 litre tank, but make sure you buy a group of five or six as they do much better in little groups. I f you decide to buy smaller fish buy a larger group and thin them out as you go, keeping the best from the group as they grow.

When you're ready start a thread and post pictures. Its a good way to keep track of your tank, and in the process help others.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Filip

HI and welcome Callan .
    Starting with 5 inch discus is an excellent idea for a discus beginner . You need to buy at least 5-6 discus and try to buy them all at once and from the same source rather then mixing sources or getting them one by one.
    200 liters is a minimal volume for grown discus , so try to consider a bit bigger tank volume while you are still in a planning phase . If your spacing doesent allow bigger tank , than just be prepared for good filtration(stack with quallity bio media ) and more Water changes to compensate the bioload .
    Your eheim would be fine IMO , and you can always alleviate the strong curents by using long spraybars throughout the lenght of your tank .
    Good luck Callan and please share pictures of your future discus with us here .