AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Tubing?

Registered Member

Default Tubing?

What width and color tubing are you all using for water changes out of an aging barrel? I got clear 5/8” ID but it is badly kinked and restricts water flow. Any tips?

Default Re: Tubing?

Miracle grow makes a good potable safe water house but its small diameter .. it does not kink... if you want to move more water the clear plastic pressure reinforced hoses sold at lowes and home depot are a good choice. They do not kink and come in many diameters. Downside is they are expensive. They last forever though.
    hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

I've used this for several years and it's pretty kink-resistant. You could get reinforced tubing but I found it's rather inflexible.

I also use these quick disconnect fittings.

I have not tried it yet but have been interested in silicone tubing for some time now. It's nearly impossible to permanently kink because it's so flexible. The per-foot cost is high but you get large discounts buying in longer lengths so it's not that much more than PVC tubing.

PVC tubing relies on plasticizers to remain flexible. Cheap stuff from Home Depot stiffens up after not too long. Silicone doesn't need plasticizers for flexibility and should last much longer.

Finally, I use Oetiker clamps instead of hose clamps to secure the tubing. I use the stainless steel versions for obvious reasons.

Like Al said, you want braided tubing. Quality on this stuff varies though, and the stuff at HD/Lowes starts stiff and becomes stiffer after not to long. Bulk Reef Supply sells the brand Kuri Tec, which is very nice. Shop around if you want more than 10'-20', but BRS is a good company.

Also, I wouldn't use silicone tubing for wc hose. Way too expensive and no rigidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    Like Al said, you want braided tubing. Quality on this stuff varies though, and the stuff at HD/Lowes starts stiff and becomes stiffer after not to long. Bulk Reef Supply sells the brand Kuri Tec, which is very nice. Shop around if you want more than 10'-20', but BRS is a good company.
    Good to know Adam. Thanks

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Thanks, all.