AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting a 300 litre/80 gallon Discus Tank and need some pointers

Registered Member

Default Starting a 300 litre/80 gallon Discus Tank and need some pointers

Hi all,
    I am very new to this forum and Discus keeping and have searched some of my many questions on this forum although not all have been answered so I decided to make a new post for anyone with the same questions as I did.
    I am planning on buying a 400 litre/80 gallon tank and stocking it with 3 - 5 adult Discus (i know I could get away with more but other fish will also inhabit the tank). As for dithers probably 10 cardinals or Rummy noses and a few rainbow fish (Open to other suggestions for tank mates!)
    The reason I have come here before buying my fish and tank is to ensure that I can look after these fish well and not hurt them or my pocket!
    With a tank that size and that stocking with overkill filtration will I be able to get away with a 50% water change weekly or half weekly e.t.c. If not how often should my water changes be and how much water should be taken out?
    Much appreciated and please don't hold back, I need to know and I am very seriously considering Discus as a new fish. I can successfully look after fish and semi delicate ones like Egyptian Mouth brooders and successfully spawned them as well as Apistogramma Cacutoides, so i'm not a noob to the hobby but just an intermediate fish keeper who would like to broaden his horizons.
    Thank you heaps, all feedback is much appreciated.

BTW, i am planning on having this tank as a show tank in my living room so i would like to sparsely plant it with lots of open room in the front and as least nooks and crannies as possible, any suggestions?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Starting a 300 litre/80 gallon Discus Tank and need some pointers

Hi DISCUSsing and welcome to Simply. Before answering questions I do suggest you spin some time in the beginner section of the forum and review the stickie threads. You will find that discus are best kept in group of five or more to help spread the aggression. Many here will recommend six to eight discus as a starting point.

While keeping other fish is a nice intro to keeping discus you will find yo will need to up your game with these fish to grow and keep them well. We do this by feeding them well and changing lots of water. Please start with the video in the first post of this thread. Start Here!. It's an hour long but well worth the time. The man in the video is the owner of this forum and knows his stuff and may stop by and personally welcome you to the forum.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Hi and a warm welcome to Simply Discus from mee too. I would follow Pat's advice and do a little more research and forward planning. I would concour with getting a few more discus, mainly because numbers allow them to feel at the same time safer and less aggressive towards each other. Also getting the fish all at once from one breeder avoids problems with introducing potential patogens when purchasing fish from different origins.
    As you have probably gathered the younger the fish you buy the more water/more oftwn you have to change, while the more grown they are the less this is necessary (but $$$). There are a number of forum members from Down Under who will be able to also help with advice more topical with your location, but again Welcome!

Real Name
    Filip

Hi and welcome Discussing .
    If you want a successfull display tank straight forward it would be wise to buy your self grown discus . There should be at least 5- 6 like the others have already advised and it would be wise to get them first before introducing any other fish .
    You can get away with weekly WCs in this scenario but be prepared for more in the initial phase while your filter cathch up with the added bioload .

Good luck .

Registered Member

Wow,
    Thank you guys heaps for all the feedback, Much Appreciated!!
    I'll defiantly now keep the discus in a group of 5 - 6, although will this mean more WCs and less dithers?
    What other fish should I keep with the discus, any suggestions?
    Second Hand Pat, I did watch the video, very educational and I am actually already subscribed to Joey (The King of DIY) on you tube, learned heaps!!
    Thanks again guys!!

Hello DISCUSsing,

Definitely prioritize getting 5-6 adults over the other fish. Discus don't need "dithers" to be happy, and for people new to discus, they're probably more trouble than they're worth. It's always a risk mixing fish, and the last thing anyone wants is a $1XX discus getting sick and dying from a diseased tetra or ancistrus.

Registered Member

Adam, will it be ok if I quarantine any 'dither' fish that go into that tank?
    I don't plan on having heaps and heaps of smaller fish, just maybe some tetras or rainbows.

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by DISCUSsing View Post
    Adam, will it be ok if I quarantine any 'dither' fish that go into that tank?
    I don't plan on having heaps and heaps of smaller fish, just maybe some tetras or rainbows.
    As long as they are compatible and can handle the temps, there is nothing wrong with having dither fish. After all, its your tank. Anything you “add” increases complexity and possible problems. Since you are new to discus, perhaps you might be more comfortable setting up a bare bottom tank, cycle, get the appropriate quality adult fish, and then, wait. Perhaps wait 3-4 months until you have learned along the way. Then, get some dither fish in QT.

I started with dither fish and now, just have a bristlenose and several cories. I thought about adding some beautiful cardinals but, on second thought, did not want to add the complexity. Plus, I need to see how my discus pair off.

Registered Member

Thanks Frank,
    I think that is what I am going to do although after some time I would like to plant the tank.
    Plus I have heard that RO water is preferred for Discus, is it ok if I just treat my water before putting it in?
    Plus the water that comes out of my tap is a ph of 8, so any ideas on how to lower it around 6 to 7 without using ph down because I have heard that Discus like soft acidic water although if I keep the ph consistent and water clean it will be ok, is that true? Plus if I keep lowering the ph with ph down wont that affect the buffer, that is why I need an alternate method.
    By the way, thank you guys for your help, it is much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    Anything you “add” increases complexity and possible problems. Since you are new to discus, perhaps you might be more comfortable setting up a bare bottom tank, cycle, get the appropriate quality adult fish, and then, wait.
    This is a much better way to put it. The less things that can go wrong, the better, especially when new to the fish.

Plus I have heard that RO water is preferred for Discus, is it ok if I just treat my water before putting it in?
    Using RO and pH manipulating products are usually big mistakes. Do you have more info/numbers on your tap water? It's probably fine for discus. I'll link a post by Carol Roberts called "How do I set up my first discus tank?" below, as it is a fabulous and well-organized introduction to basic discus care.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...st-discus-tank

Registered Member

Adam, here are some more numbers on my tap water:
    PH: 7.8 - 8.0
    Nitrate: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    KH: 3
    Gh: 1
    Ammonia: 0.25 (Is that normal?)
    Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Your water although with a high pH is still pretty soft so definitely no need for reverse osmosis. The ammonia reading is a bit of a concern, maybe cross check with a different test kit. Could be from chloramines added to the water. I would definitely use Prime and for water changes I would get a container to put the tap-water in first to age and treat with prime before putting it in the fish tank
    Last edited by Paul Sabucchi; 11-20-2018 at 03:22 PM.

Real Name
    Zac

I also have ammonia in my tap water from cholarmine. Like Paul said, just treat with Prime and you will be fine. I have had no issues with it as my bio-filter takes care of it pretty quickly.

Registered Member

Ok, will do.
    Also what is the best way to age water?
    And does anyone have any suggestions on tank mates?
    Thanks for all the help!

Real Name
    Frank

Plus I have heard that RO water is preferred for Discus, is it ok if I just treat my water before putting it in? Plus the water that comes out of my tap is a ph of 8, so any ideas on how to lower it around 6 to 7 without using ph down because I have heard that Discus like soft acidic water although if I keep the ph consistent and water clean it will be ok, is that true? Plus if I keep lowering the ph with ph down wont that affect the buffer, that is why I need an alternate method.
    No need to mess with your PH or buffering. Again, simple is better. No RO needed as others have noted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast