AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting a 300 litre/80 gallon Discus Tank and need some pointers

Registered Member

Default Re: Starting a 300 litre/80 gallon Discus Tank and need some pointers

Ok thanks Frank,
    Do you know the best way to age water?
    Thanks!

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Depends on where you are going to put it, as spouses tend to object to big plastic barrels plonked in the house (fortunately my long suffering wife is very understanding). I believe in Australia you are spoilt for choice as far as water catchment containers. Is the ageing butt going to be on the same floor of the display tank? You are going to be better off if you can rig up some sort of permanent hose to empty the tank and another (with a pump) to get the water from the ageing barrel back into the tank. In the barrel to agitate the water you can 7se either an air-stone/pump or a wavemaker (I use a SunSun JVP 100).
    As for companion fish the most tried and tested are rummy-nose and cardinal tetras (but I would also consider lemon tetras) and Corydoras sterbai

Registered Member

Yes the ageing water will be on the same floor as the tank.
    I'll try to do the hoses thing that you said.
    So in order to age water it just has to sit there? And if so for how long?
    Do you know if rainbows and/or Angels to well with Discus?
    Thanks a lot guys!!!!

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by DISCUSsing View Post
    Yes the ageing water will be on the same floor as the tank.
    I'll try to do the hoses thing that you said.
    So in order to age water it just has to sit there? And if so for how long?
    Do you know if rainbows and/or Angels to well with Discus?
    Thanks a lot guys!!!!
    Usually add aeration and a heater. Probably at minimum 24 hours.

Registered Member

Oh ok thanks Frank,
    What about the tank mates such as rainbows, angels e.t.c, in your experience what has worked well?
    Thanks

Real Name
    Patty

Tank mates could be cardinal or rummy nose tetras and Sterbae cories can take the higher temps if you want schooling fish. Also blue rams are popular. I’m seen gouramis and angel fish too. Many like cories because they clean up uneaten food.
    I’m sure there’s more people who can make suggestions. I’m sure Adam knows what plecos could work too.
    Patty
    Last edited by Pices; 11-20-2018 at 07:12 PM.
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by DISCUSsing View Post
    Oh ok thanks Frank,
    What about the tank mates such as rainbows, angels e.t.c, in your experience what has worked well?
    Thanks
    All here have made good suggestions. Cardinal or rummy nose tetras are some of my favorites. I also have a special place for German Blue Rams.

Real Name
    Patty

I have rummy nose in my discus tank and just added cardinal tetras and cories (after quarantine of course) to my angel tank. I like the cardinals best though.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Registered Member

Yeah I think I am going to go with Cardinals, rummy nose and Blue rams.
    Any suggestions about Apistogramma Cacutoides?
    And what about kribensis?
    Thanks guys!

Real Name
    Dave

Apistograms like colder water than Discus..... This is what the owner of the fish store I frequent for some of my dry goods and dither fish said when I asked him about Apistos Vs. Rams in the Discus tank.

Rams have been found in 90 degree water in the wild doing just fine.

I don't have Discus anymore, but in a few months I will have Discus again as I am saving my funds through the winter months to be able to purchase some Discus this late spring or summer.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Registered Member

Ok thanks Dave, looks like i'll just be keeping Rams.
    Any suggestions on how many should go in my tank?
    Thanks!

Registered Member

Hey Guys,
    Does anyone know if U can mix strains of Blue Ram in my Discus Tank (E.G: Electric's with goldens)
    And also does anyone know any really nice strains to start with, there are so many I though I might learn some here.
    By the way I have decided to by my Discus as juveniles and raise them up as big as I can get them and then scape and stock the tank with other inhabitants.
    I know that I need to have my grow out tank as a bare bottom and change water once or twice a day. How long will it take to raise them up from 2-3 inch juvies.
    I know I ask so many questions but thanks for all the answers guys, much appreciated!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

Don't wanna rain on your parade here, but as a professional discus stunter myself (lol),
    I hope you understand what kind of challenge you are taking yourself into.
    (as you mentioned above, bb tank, 2xWC/day etc. is on the right track I believe.
    and next would be food and diseases.)

One thing about WC though, I wish you can experience it before you commit to your purchase (2").
    Like, let's try to get a grip on first-hand experience of 2xWC a day for a couple weeks and please ask yourself
    that you would we able to do the same thing for few months, and once a day after that.

There are loads of useful posts on beginner threads:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...-for-Beginners

as well as members are on grow out challenge in these threads:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...r-Contest-2018

These threads would save you from loads of time and headaches.

Good luck on your journey.
    Water change is not just a chore, it's my life now...

Registered Member

Thanks but can anyone else answer the other questions that I wrote in the last post.
    Thanks!

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

If you get 3" fish you are looking at a good 12 months to get the bulk of their growth over and done, thereafter they will continue growing but at a slower rate

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast